Jeep engines at hwy speeds

Jeep engines at hwy speeds

jrbaker90

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep as of right now but am looking for one
I have been wanting to know how would a Jeep either a CJ5 or a CJ3b I be at hwy speed and is there anything could do to help at hwy speeds

are you asking about RPM? Power? alot depends on which engine you have, gear ratios, tire sizes, and trannys

I'm hardly and expert, but from my Limited experience and from conversations with other people who drive old CJ5s, they just aren't made to do highway speeds. I can drive mine at 55, but it is not something you can do and take in the scenery at the same time. A person could probably change out the gears and put different tires on it to make it better on the highway, but I think that you would lose a lot of the four wheeling abilities if you did but I don't know if the handling would be up to it.

I am looking at a Jeep CJ5 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a boy who is looking for me one said he found a 1954 willys so I don't know what model it is I hope he is wrong and it's newer and a CJ5 thanks

Your best bet would be a CJ7 with a T-5 . This gives you an Overdrive gear. Remember, you don't want 9 inches of lift if you are going to be screaming at highway speeds.

I ain't going to be driving alot on hwy Jus every once in awhile. I am also thinking about putting all GM drivetrain with the 700R4 behind a 327 I Gabe that only has 1200 on t

I'm hardly and expert, but from my Limited experience and from conversations with other people who drive old CJ5s, they just aren't made to do highway speeds. I can drive mine at 55, but it is not something you can do and take in the scenery at the same time. A person could probably change out the gears and put different tires on it to make it better on the highway, but I think that you would lose a lot of the four wheeling abilities if you did but I don't know if the handling would be up to it.

I agree. My CJ5 with 31.5X15" tires is NOT a highway vehicle. It's not lifted either. Power isn't an issue but the little 2.5l GM engine is screaming.

The CJ5 is a very SHORT vehicle. You have to have all your wits about you at highway speeds of 55+ You CANNOT/BETTER NOT get distracted or make any sudden moves. Things can get hairy in a heartbeat. Power is one thing, controlling it and stopping it is quite another.

I stick to side streets and side roads. If I need to get anywhere of any distance quick with it, I tow it!

My son had a YJ for a while. That's what got me interested in Jeeps. The YJ was a whole different animal on the highway.

I really like the yj I go to a lake about hour and a half I also have a camper in ark I would love to take a Jeep over there and I have no way of towing at all I found a 1963 Jeep on a Wrangler frame and a CJ7 nose so that might be my best bet but it has no motor or Transmission but I have the motor I just would need a transmissiontransmission

I really like the yj I go to a lake about hour and a half I also have a camper in ark I would love to take a Jeep over there and I have no way of towing at all I found a 1963 Jeep on a Wrangler frame and a CJ7 nose so that might be my best bet but it has no motor or Transmission but I have the motor I just would need a transmissiontransmission

Please remember: GO/STOP/CONTROL are three seperate items. The last two are the most important.

The CJ5 is a very SHORT vehicle. You have to have all your wits about you at highway speeds of 55+ You CANNOT/BETTER NOT get distracted or make any sudden moves. Things can get hairy in a heartbeat. Power is one thing, controlling it and stopping it is quite another.

i have no problem running 90mph in mine

My 75 CJ5 could go 75 but I didn't like driving it at that speed

Last edited:
Lets say 55 stay alive!!

I believe the issue is a properly maintained vehicle.You folks that say your vehicle is not up to being driven on the hiway need to take a serius look at what your driving. My 1967 CJ5 w/225 v6/ 3.73 gears and warn-o-drive will cruise I-5 70 mph no problem. It has stock ross steering NO steering shock and stock sized wheels and tires.Not trying to defend the old jeeps,but a well maintained vehicle can drive just as well as a newer one .You are right about paying attention. Certainely don't want to make any sudden moves our get distracted.I have been driving these old jeeps for many years and never felt I was in danger.:confused:

mike

I believe the issue is a properly maintained vehicle.You folks that say your vehicle is not up to being driven on the hiway need to take a serius look at what your driving. My 1967 CJ5 w/225 v6/ 3.73 gears and warn-o-drive will cruise I-5 70 mph no problem. It has stock ross steering NO steering shock and stock sized wheels and tires.Not trying to defend the old jeeps,but a well maintained vehicle can drive just as well as a newer one .You are right about paying attention. Certainely don't want to make any sudden moves our get distracted.I have been driving these old jeeps for many years and never felt I was in danger.:confused:

mike

x2

The more seat time you get in one the better/safer you will feel.
Just driving the Jeep in/for parades and ice cream doesn't help much.
Been driving mine on highways and out of state trips for 36 years...
I've flat towed as well just for more comfort.

I’m looking to make a change on my CJ5 to improve streetability by installing taller gears in the differentials and a Teralow kit in the Transfer Case . With my 4.56s I’m screaming down the road around 3K rpms at 60 with a V8. Back in the days when I was much younger and much stupider I use to drive (skate would be a better word) my stock 1972 CJ5 down the highway at 80 and was lucky enough to live to tell about it; 60 mph is about where the governor should be set.

I can cruise all day at 60 with my CJ with 4.10s, 33s, and a T-176 . I guess it all depends on gearing. My buddies 5 has a hard time doing anything over 45 due to his crazy gearing. But, as others have said, crontrol is an issue in a willys or a old 5. My wide track 7 is pretty good, but it's a much newer jeep. I also avoid the highways as much as possible. I can do 60, but I hate cars whipping by at 80.

I agree. My CJ5 with 31.5X15" tires is NOT a highway vehicle. It's not lifted either. Power isn't an issue but the little 2.5l GM engine is screaming.

I stick to side streets and side roads. If I need to get anywhere of any distance quick with it, I tow it!

My son had a YJ for a while. That's what got me interested in Jeeps. The YJ was a whole different animal on the highway.

I have to disagree with this, properly maintained a CJ5 will run down the road at speeds well over the speed limit with ease.

I have to disagree with this, properly maintained a CJ5 will run down the road at speeds well over the speed limit with ease.

I disagree....sorry...that's just not the case with all models.....but my old '65 was pretty much topped out at 55mph. F-head 4 cyl, stock everything including gearing (which was low).

The first time I test drove my '84, it was like driving a Cadilac in comparison :D

My 1980 CJ5 took me from Utah to CT at 75 mph all the way while pulling a small trailer with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a T-176 four speed tranny. It has 4 inches of lift with 33 mud terrains. It did and does just fine on the highway.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom