Jeep engines at hwy speeds

Jeep engines at hwy speeds
i drive my jeep at 70 all the time. as long as everything is nice and tight they work fine. here is a video of mine going through the gears.

Cj5 350 chevy acceleration - YouTube

Very sweet. You have wheelly bars mounted on that beast?

lol no wheelie bars. i have never even poped the clutch. i dont want to shred my rear end. that video was when i had the T-4 in it. now its a T-176 and feels alot stronger.

Cass love your shifter knob :)

LOL - Rockers are every where!

its not like that any more. when i bought that T-4 it didnt have a shifter at all so i made that one. :chug:

I have to disagree with this, properly maintained a CJ5 will run down the road at speeds well over the speed limit with ease.

Not with me on board.;)

While this is my first, owned, CJ, I've been a passenger-many times. Mostly CJ7 's.

I must say that the bushing job made a huge ifference in mine.

Everything is now tight: Steering box is new an adjusted properly, tires are good an at the right pressure, alignment is good, shocks are new.

I just think this vehicle is "Twitchy". I woulld NOT put a novice in one.

I have been driving my CJ5 for several years as a daily driver, I keep the front end in good condition and the brakes up to par. The steering is and always has been very touchy, just a little movement of the steering wheel and you are headed the other way. The crown of the road pitches me to the left or right as the grove in the road left by all the coal and gravel trucks. My jeep has a AMC 304 and T-18 , I installed a 9inch ford rear axle after stripping the axle hubs out for the 4th time and has 4.30 ratio gears. Now this might sound far fetched but I have been getting 14 to 15 mpg very regular. I can go 65 mph but at 55 it is very happy jeep. It has 33x12.50 super swampers also helps gear it up a bit. I guess thats my road manners of my CJ5 .

Old jeeps can go fast and can be controlled but if you wreck it your dead. Lets face it unless you do a full cage tied to the frame with some harnesses there is not a lot of safety in these guys. I had a Willys CJ5 in college that was trail only and I would rally it from the garage to the trail head about 5 miles and push what it could do for speed. Stock drivetrain with a lot of suspension mods and almost no tub and it would to 50 but it was far from safe.

Now I have a narrow track CJ7 that will go about 60-65 and it runs fine at those. Its actually the tightest steering I have had on a vehicle in a number of years. It can handle those speeds but you feel them. Your not driving a car.

I would say its fine every now and then but if you want highway speeds in a jeep get a YJ or a TJ.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom