Just bought Jeep!

Just bought Jeep!

1984 CJ7

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 258 (rebuilt), 5 speed (rebuilt), softtop, Goodyear DuraTrac's
Hello, My first CJ and I am raelly happy! Pretty much excellent condition and original. It does have the T-5 speed and reverse is a little grindy. I thinnk I will invest a bout $4000 over the next year and get it from good to great.

So, my question is, how much is a complete overhaul of the T-5 ? I rebuilt my motorcycle engine but never have even considered do a transmmission before. I woudl figure that a T-5 would be about $500 to $1000 to rebuild. The rebuild kits are only like $300. I will not be wheeling this Jeep, but rather just driving to the beach and work as a second "play" car.

Also, where is a good place for a new AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l online?

Thanks!

Welcome and congratulations on your first Jeep! The bad news is your new addiction for the most part is incurable but can be maintained through the purchase of Jeep parts, wrenching, and driving.; no 12 step program available for this one. If you pull the tranny and do the work yourself then you can keep the price down but if you pay a shop depending upon what needs to be replaced I would think $750 should be top end. This is a sport where a little grease under the fingernails is a badge of honor.

Any good parts house can get you a rebuilt motor. A company in Spokane (S&S Rebuilders or something like that) does a good remanufacture for a fair price. I’ve used them and had great luck with their work but others can do it too.

Last edited:
ha!! Well, that seems pretty resonable. If I did decide to do it myself, how tough of a job is it to do since I have ever even opened up a Transmission before? All I need is some duct tape and a screw driver right? :)

Ill have a rebuilt T-5 for sale in a little bit. They are a really weak Transmission . (JUNK) Is there any reason why you want to stick with the T-5 ?

Well, I am running an all stock setup and wanted to keep it original. No off roading, just driving it around town. I figured it has 200K miles on it and still works, except for reverse, so it should be fine for my needs.

:ww: I have the T-5 in mine and wheel the snot out of it with no problems so go ahead and get it rebuilt it will be fine and the 5th gear will help with your gas mileage.

I live in Central Mississippi and paid a local repair shop $950 for my rebuild. Got a 6 month/12,000 mi warranty. I considered my repair bill fair. Good Luck with your new Jeep.

It saves you alot of money if you pull it yourself and just take it to a tranny guy. That way you aren't paying labor cost to pull and install. That's what I did and it cost me $550.

ha!! Well, that seems pretty resonable. If I did decide to do it myself, how tough of a job is it to do since I have ever even opened up a Transmission before? All I need is some duct tape and a screw driver right? :)

Transmissions aren’t hard to do if you take your time and make sure nothing gets out of order. As you take parts off/out put them in order on the bench (in a line) then put the new parts below the old ones and reassemble. I have a PDF rebuild manual on the T-5 so send me a private message and I’ll forward it to you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom