Steering Lares powersteering pump & OEM bracket

Steering Lares powersteering pump & OEM bracket

DconZ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
I picked up a new Chrome Lares powersteering pump from Summit but when I took it out of the box yesterday to start prepping the brackets etc.. I noticed the return line inlet isnt going to work with the OEM bracket. They placed the low pressure inlet to the bottom corner whereas a factory fit pump is more in the middle which lets it pass through the opening in the bracket as its meant to. I looked at the possibility of modifying the bracket by cutting the hole a bit bigger but its too close to the edge and will weaken the bracket too much is my guess This pump is listed as a direct fit on a CJ which its not obviously (might fit a 4.2L mount) but they also list a ton of other AMC vehicles, wondering if AMC made a bracket for a matador, hornet, amx or something that has a bracket that has a different configuration that might work, been looking around but havent found anything yet.

Anyone been down this road?? I will likely end up returning it and picking up a Borgeson or something but this chrome finish is really nice and they seem to be the only one that sells this pump in Chrome :(

You got the wrong pump. Time for an exchange. Or just an oem black reman. Return line has to be in the center not bottom corner.

Thats the conclusion I came to after a long search online for all kinds of different AMC's, anything that came with a V8 but I didn't find anything and that was a dead-end road. I contemplated a custom fab because that chrome pump was super nice but it's on its way back to Summit and I grabbed a Borgeson re-man instead.

It looks like that Chrome pump might fit the 6cyl mounting bracket possibly but not sure, those brackets seem to have a much bigger hole to feed lines through.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks