Steering Lares powersteering pump & OEM bracket

Steering Lares powersteering pump & OEM bracket

DconZ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
I picked up a new Chrome Lares powersteering pump from Summit but when I took it out of the box yesterday to start prepping the brackets etc.. I noticed the return line inlet isnt going to work with the OEM bracket. They placed the low pressure inlet to the bottom corner whereas a factory fit pump is more in the middle which lets it pass through the opening in the bracket as its meant to. I looked at the possibility of modifying the bracket by cutting the hole a bit bigger but its too close to the edge and will weaken the bracket too much is my guess This pump is listed as a direct fit on a CJ which its not obviously (might fit a 4.2L mount) but they also list a ton of other AMC vehicles, wondering if AMC made a bracket for a matador, hornet, amx or something that has a bracket that has a different configuration that might work, been looking around but havent found anything yet.

Anyone been down this road?? I will likely end up returning it and picking up a Borgeson or something but this chrome finish is really nice and they seem to be the only one that sells this pump in Chrome :(

You got the wrong pump. Time for an exchange. Or just an oem black reman. Return line has to be in the center not bottom corner.

Thats the conclusion I came to after a long search online for all kinds of different AMC's, anything that came with a V8 but I didn't find anything and that was a dead-end road. I contemplated a custom fab because that chrome pump was super nice but it's on its way back to Summit and I grabbed a Borgeson re-man instead.

It looks like that Chrome pump might fit the 6cyl mounting bracket possibly but not sure, those brackets seem to have a much bigger hole to feed lines through.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom