Leak from Breather Valve

Leak from Breather Valve

WolfSpring

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
59 Willys CJ5 302 V8 C4 Transmision Automatic with Warn overdrive D44 Rear D25 Front Saginaw Steering 32s with a lift
Ok I am a noob, so please be gentle with me.

My jeep has a minor leak when I stop that accumulates on the ground. An inspection this morning(hadn't driven since last night) shown that the "breather valve" on my valve cover is a little lose and a small pool of oil had accumuated on the valve cover trickling from the breather. I called someone who knows enough about this stuff, explained it and he said it's a breather valve, if I'm wrong, my appologies. The round silver item under the overflow and to the left of the intake. You can even see some of the oil on there. So no one has this part local at the part shops, it's to hot to deal with a junk yard and I'm to lazy to go to a mechanic. my question:

1. As long as the oil is at the right level, how much driving can I do with this small leak from the breather?

4909268394_fff5e522bf.jpg

well as long as you keep in oil in it you can drive it forever. check to see how much oil you lose everyday then replace it. but the best thing is to fix it. you should have a pcv valve where that breather is the pcv valve should have a vacuum line that runs to the carb, or possibly to the intake manifold. i'm not that familiar with ford stuff so i can't tell you exactly where the vacuum line will connect.
here is an explanation of what a pcv valve is and what it does for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

thanks for filling the profile fields
warn OD, you have a D18 Transfer Case
59 Dana 44 gives you a 19 spline count, oh you have a d25 front axle
see, that field really helps us as we can tell what we are dealing with mechanically.
now, Keep the oil level up and it will drive fine, just be a pain to keep checking every day. I would suggest as soon as you can to get the leak fixed however for a few reasons, first your wallet, oil is expensive and it will only take a few quarts to pay for that part and second is the mess on the driveway, looks bad. Not to mention the environment.

In my very Limited experience, Jeeps are like old Harley-Davidson motorcycles...They like to "mark" their territories! :laugh:

I have replaced the grommets on both the breather and PCV sides of my valve cover and, while better, they still tend to seep oil. But seep is the operative word, not gush.

Other seals are the same way...You replace them and they stop (or reduce) leaking for a little while, and then it's back to business as usual!

Actually, I don't think my Jeep has any orifices where it does NOT seep some kind of fluid out!

Ok I am a noob, so please be gentle with me.

My jeep has a minor leak when I stop that accumulates on the ground. An inspection this morning(hadn't driven since last night) shown that the "breather valve" on my valve cover is a little lose and a small pool of oil had accumuated on the valve cover trickling from the breather. I called someone who knows enough about this stuff, explained it and he said it's a breather valve, if I'm wrong, my appologies. The round silver item under the overflow and to the left of the intake. You can even see some of the oil on there. So no one has this part local at the part shops, it's to hot to deal with a junk yard and I'm to lazy to go to a mechanic. my question:

1. As long as the oil is at the right level, how much driving can I do with this small leak from the breather?

4909268394_fff5e522bf.jpg

So I can kind of think of it like a HMMWV then, if it's not leaking oil it means you have no oil it it? :D

nope. by looking at your pic you don't have a pcv valve. you really need to put one in place of that chrome breather on the right side valve cover and run a vacuum line to the carb. read the wiki leak i posted up it'll explain what it is and what it does for your motor

nope. by looking at your pic you don't have a pcv valve. you really need to put one in place of that chrome breather on the right side valve cover and run a vacuum line to the carb. read the wiki leak i posted up it'll explain what it is and what it does for your motor

I'm with cheepjeep I don't see a pcv valve, which means it's building up crankcase pressure and it has to go someplace. Your lucky so far that it's not blowing out seals.

thanks for filling the profile fields
warn OD, you have a D18 Transfer Case
59 Dana 44 gives you a 19 spline count, oh you have a d25 front axle
see, that field really helps us as we can tell what we are dealing with mechanically.
now, Keep the oil level up and it will drive fine, just be a pain to keep checking every day. I would suggest as soon as you can to get the leak fixed however for a few reasons, first your wallet, oil is expensive and it will only take a few quarts to pay for that part and second is the mess on the driveway, looks bad. Not to mention the environment.

As far as the Dana 44 , I'm not sure it's the 59 on it. There wasn't a spot for it I read but the seller also said a 4:88 gear ratio? I'm sure in the comming days I will get under there, gotta clean out the garage, and find some numbers to run and figure out the exacts. Thank you for clearing up a little more on my info though. I'm learning fast but sometimes as fast as I'm learning it's not retaining certain things.

you have a warn Overdrive ?
that fits on a d18 only
so let me ask, is the pumpkin on the rear diff offset to the drivers side?
Is should be if you have a d18, that would mean either a D41 or Dana 44 rear axle if it is stock, but they quit putting the d41 under Jeeps in 1949
They were never put in a CJ5
Dana 44 can house 4.88 gears or lower such a 5.38s that were popular in 1959.

buy pumpkin are we talking the extra cap on the drivers side? Not sure, love being educated though, you guys have taught me so much in two days about this thing If this is not it, tell me what I'm looking for, but I'm told that is the Overdrive , and he did say warn, but the guy, as cool as he is was a little off:

4916702543_ab7d2c3b9e_m.jpg

buy pumpkin are we talking the extra cap on the drivers side? Not sure, love being educated though, you guys have taught me so much in two days about this thing If this is not it, tell me what I'm looking for, but I'm told that is the Overdrive , and he did say warn, but the guy, as cool as he is was a little off:

4916702543_ab7d2c3b9e_m.jpg

The pumpkin is the big round portion in the lower right had corner of the picture. This is the differential which houses the gears.

OH the rear differential(I actually understand that one :) ) yeah it's a little more ont he passanger side. THe Overdrive thats built into the Transfer Case (I think) is on the left of the Transfer Case when looking at it from the back end.

The Overdrive unit should be between the Transmission and the Transfer Case , if I am not mistaken. Something that might help you out, is to look up pictures of all of the parts that you havem rear end, front end, t-case, etc. This will give you a better idea of what you are actually looking at on your Jeep, and will help to familiarize yourself with your Jeep. There is no greater feeling than being able to figure things out about stuff that is new. You should be able to find markings and numbers on most everything, it may just take some looking for.

How far off set is the rear diff? can you get us a pic of the whole thing in one frame?

4916759219_152c7b2cdf_m.jpgIf this is not good enough i can got take one, I'm just putting up what I already had.

well guys, the PCV valve as we know it today, was implemented in The early 60s, before this we had a system that vented the gas to a hose that went to the atmosphere routing it to the lower section of the engine. Being a 59 he would have such.
However that is not a 59 Jeep engine and is a later V8, With the air cleaner assembly I can see why he does not run one, the PO who put it in must not have found a hose to fit that returned the gas to the intake and must have just found anything that damned up the system.
I think what is needed is a pcv valve the proper grommet to hold it in place and a hose to return the crankcase gas to the intake via the air cleaner.
That would both relive the pressure in the crankcase and give the oil a place to go besides the ground.

So that I'm tracking. PCV valve good thing... So I looked around, asked around did some shopping, if I am going to do the PCV valve I have to buy new valve covers, which some come with a PCV valve. So I take that new cover and PCV valve, which would be connected where my current breather is and I take the hose and put it on the bottom of the air cleaner, this ist he part that confuses me. I looked at my air cleaner, which I thought was a carberatour(??? 1. Same thing, 2. Two pieces that work together to create the edlebrock.) This nob is the only thing that comes off the aircleaner/carb that does not have a connection to it, it has a rubber cover on it, which would lead me to believe it could be connected to said hose to create the vacuum for the pcv valve?

4921275467_d0011e7c31.jpg

The silver thingy in the left rear, could a pvc valve go there? on the bottom plate of the air cleaner should have a port for the hose to fit in. If not get a bigger cleaner that can support it. The gasses from the PCV valve should go into the carb

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom