Leak from Breather Valve

Leak from Breather Valve
I looked at my air cleaner, which I thought was a carberatour(??? 1. Same thing, 2. Two pieces that work together to create the edlebrock.) This nob is the only thing that comes off the aircleaner/carb that does not have a connection to it, it has a rubber cover on it, which would lead me to believe it could be connected to said hose to create the vacuum for the pcv valve?

4921275467_d0011e7c31.jpg

The air cleaner is just the air filter, the carberatour handles the air/fuel mixture/delivery to the cylinders. edelbrock just makes the carb. I can't view the picture, but if you pulled that rubber piece off a port on the carb, that COULD be where the pcv valve would be connected to. Also, as Baja said, you should be able to replace the breather with the PCV valve. You could probably call Summit Racing for that.

The silver shiny thing is the breather, the problem is any PCV I've seen is a much smaller hole then then one the breather is in. As far as the port, the arrow is pointing to a rubber cover covers a small post comming off the carberator which is the only open looking area on the whole thing.

you can buy a new grommet to fit your valve cover and a pcv valve at your local auto parts store for around $15. if that is an edelbrock carb the largest port on the front of the carb should pull a constant vacuum that is the one you will connect your pcv valve to. to find out for sure simply start it up and pull the plug off of that port stick your finger over it and if your finger sucks to it thats the one. there should also be another large port on the back of the carb that pulls a constant vacuum but that should be where your brake booster is connected assuming you have power brakes.

So i go to the local Checker, it's close, military discount, they treat me and my kids nice, they have the valve but not the grommet in stock, they also have no speedometers and no creepers. I go to Auto Zone, 1/4 mile away, same deal, but they have creepers, really cheep one and you get what you pay for. I'm gonna hit a junk yard this weekend for a speedometer. And I've got to fix the cable also. As far as the PCV it's like 7 bucks for the valve and grommet, but I need a hose too didn't even price that so far getting some great advice for cheap upgrades/fixes.

IMO I wiuld get rid of the breather in your valve cover and replace it with a pcv valve and than replace your oil filer cap with one that can breath like this one.Mr. Gasket 2061 Mr. Gasket Breather For OEM Covers That way the pcv can pull air through your system.

LOL thats funny... That is what I have in the place we are talking about putting the PCV valve, almost thee exact same thing. But I have listened and I will be getting the PCV valve it's a matter of finding one local vs ordering one right now I had Checker put it for one to be sent to the shop. I so appreciate the patience you have given me and the help to everyone. I am learning very fast, but may be trying to do to many little things at once.

Wolf, do you know why the PCV valve is important?
Positive Crankcase Ventilation, with out one, everytime the a piston goes down, it is in fact creating pressure in the crankcase, moving air. So you can see that a lot of air gets to be moving around in there and it builds up pressure that needs to be relieved. When they first started making engines they just made them with stronger gaskets and seals to withstand such but we are not talking a perfect world and the pressure always found a way to get out. A leak such as you have. So seeing as we needed a way to prevent this, and seeing how we started this oversight group we call the EPA, they decided that instead of just putting in a vent, we needed to vent the gas back into the engine. A valve such as the PVC valve routed to the air cleaner does such and any unburned gasses that have collected are routed back to the combustion chamber to be eliminated.
That is the reason you need it. to release pressure, and process the air it releases.
Well that is why we have it. it also helps to make sure no oil hits the driveway.

if i have no pcv valve, will it cause my exhaust to smoke? or is it bad valve seals

no i havent done compression check yet. i dont have the tool:(... yet

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom