leaky gas cap

leaky gas cap
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1956 CJ5, Buick 231 3.8l V6, Dana 300 twin stick, open dana 30, limited slip AMC 20, 3.5" skyjacker springs

2006 Chevy Colorado, 5" Rancho lift, 10 ton winch, full exhaust including custom exhaust manifold, custom intake
I have a 56 CJ5 with a stock gas tank. When ever i get it up close to vertical the gas cap leaks. Any thing i can do about this.

I realis that I could put in a nice fuel cell that is designed for being at high angles. I was just wondering if there might be someone that knows a trick or a different kind of gas cap that works better?

Replace your gasket (make one if you have to).

Or as cheepjeep85 said before, get a new cap.

Switch to propane :D

Don't forget, it probably should be a vented cap. Doesn't mean it should leak a lot, but you also can't totally block it off either. The vent in vented caps is basically only a pinhole.

Get a sealed non breathing cap. Crawl under the jeep, find the small (about 1") line that comes off your main fill tube. You can cut it and install a "t" with a reduced size to come off of with about a 1/4" size breather line. Hit a small engine supply store or repair shop and buy an "end line filter" it plugs to the end of your new breathing line and blocks dirt easily (about $1). Run the new breather line to the highest point inside the body behind the tail light wall.

I've done this on all my restorations and allows me to use a spill proof cap without causing pressure problems in my tanks.

Get a sealed non breathing cap. Crawl under the jeep, find the small (about 1") line that comes off your main fill tube. You can cut it and install a "t" with a reduced size to come off of with about a 1/4" size breather line. Hit a small engine supply store or repair shop and buy an "end line filter" it plugs to the end of your new breathing line and blocks dirt easily (about $1). Run the new breather line to the highest point inside the body behind the tail light wall.

I've done this on all my restorations and allows me to use a spill proof cap without causing pressure problems in my tanks.
i don't believe venting gas fumes inside the vehicle is a good idea, especially if you smoke, or have electrical issues like most cjs do.

He said to vent into the wheel well, not the passenger cabin... :)

Sent from my DROID.

ah, thought it said inside the tub behind the tail light panel, guess i misunderstood :chug:
I thought that first, then I thought about where the tail lights are mounted, by the wheel well... :chug:

Sent from my DROID.

Yeah guys its outside.

Btw, these endcap filters are made from a ceramic type of material and absorb or dispense a very small amount of vapor or fuel at a time. So.......unless you plan on propping up your cj like the shuttle before takeoff for a few hrs-it should be right for you.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I think I'll go with the T idea. Thanks guys.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom