mylittlecj5

RIP Mike, we'll all miss you
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ-5,
360 AMC Engine.
35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires.

In a frame off rebuild for a long time...
SO lets hear your ideas to improve the windshield washer system on the CJs.
Rules are:
start from scratch, design it to try and clear a cold windshield in a mud pit as well as daily driver duties.
reservoir size?
pressurized instead of a pump, maybe?
how many squirters and where would you place them? what would you source them off of?
any ideas about heating the water (disadvantage-possibly cracking the glass in cold weather)?
anything else off the wall?

GO!

I like doing this kinda stuff!
Hit the junk yard find something big like a f350 or bigger, it'll have the size and pressure to get it done.
Use a little denatured alcohol in the water to prevent freezing, it'll also help remove those greasy bugs, but removes wax, but wont hurt your paint.
Snag 2-3 nozzles of your choice.
I prefer the older style that look like a piece of crimped metal tube, its metal and doesn't clog like plastic also produces a nice heavy spray. They can be found on 70's maybe 80's vehicles.

Last edited:
I would like to have the ones that are right on the wiper arm but I don't know how to hide the hoses on the front of the frame. Why would the f350 have a bigger wiper cleaner than say an f150? Dont they both have the same window?

I will try to get you some pics of a Rover set up. Those Brits take washers seriously.

i have a bottle and pump off of a s-10, it had pretty good press. but my factory one still works so it hasn't been a real big priority. i'd like to have em on the wiper arms to and the only way i can figure to do it would be to take the factory nozzle off and run new line from there which would look like :dung:, the factory nozzle is about 4" from the base of the windshield.

a real good way to get some press. would be to have a pressurized tank, that is if you had oba, you could use a reg. to keep the pressure down to say 13psi would be plenty enough to power wash the :dung: off of the windshield.

I say f350 but mostly referring to large trucks, the larger the truck the larger the glass, also they usually have larger tanks.
If you want completely custom:
Us a pump type pressure sprayer tank modified to get pressure from an oba setup regulate your pressure based on the pump sprayer tank capacity. I've used them for misc projects.
You can run larger tubing and get more volume.
Plus you can run almost any spray nozzle you want.

Last edited:
Now thats a good idea, Brock! I remember once at a 4x4 park, I came in from playing in the mud, and my wipers quit working. The guys running a rally car (big race that day) came over and gave my windshield a spray from a garden type sprayer to clean it so I could see. I had forgotten about that!

Now thats a good idea, Brock! I remember once at a 4x4 park, I came in from playing in the mud, and my wipers quit working. The guys running a rally car (big race that day) came over and gave my windshield a spray from a garden type sprayer to clean it so I could see. I had forgotten about that!

We use a couple of the same type of sprayers for my daughters soccer team.
Fill lit with cold water and when they come off the field all hot and nasty. A quick spray down helps cool `em off.

Not to mention a good dunk tank for the coach after a big win !!

images

THvo-PJFF1Po8cacnpbV4V2E7xEOoJIds7qt3b6lLLue4w7obG.jpg

QlH9dUbwPlVLfRi9GyeW7zBrlmLw6mv4EOtKPcHhU-I98xJyil.jpg

I was thinking of those...

I remember one time we were wheeling in Eastern WA and the mud was so bad wipers wouldnt cut it...I was forced to put on my safety goggles and run with my head out the window. It's easier to wipe off 6 square inches of windshield then several square feet.

Man did I need a shower that day ...

SO after thinking about the pressurized pump sprayer thing all day, I can't figure out how you would control the spray. running the trigger nozzle in the cab wouldn't work very well for daily driver duties, and I can't picture how to remotely control it.
I have a few air control doodads from a semi truck I might try out later and see if I can get something to work. :) It'll probably be after this cold snap goes away, tho...

Yep That might do it! :)

Nice thread. You got me thinking. How about an EFI fuel pump & 4 nozzles to power blast the windshield. I think I might try that.

One thing to consider is how the mud got there in the first place. Do your tires hang out past the fenders/ flairs?? I think the washer upgrade is a great idea but if you have wide boots filling the vertical with semi liquid earth your gonna run out of water in the washer eventually.:D

Nice thread. You got me thinking. How about an EFI fuel pump & 4 nozzles to power blast the windshield. I think I might try that.
there's another really good option. quick, simple and works just like the factory setup on steroids.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom