lift and driveshaft

lift and driveshaft

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
Any of yall put a CV joint in the rear driveshaft after installing a lift? My driveshaft is just a bit short I think

Yes, I put in a CV in the rear. You want to turn the axle so the pinion is pointing to the yoke on the TCase. That u-joint at the axle should not have any angle to it.
As for the length: disconnect one end of the drive shaft and jack up the jeep by the frame. Make sure the drive shaft has more than enough length.

Yep, and you'll need a cv yoke too. I looked at Tom Woods and hear they have good stuff, but I went with this place. ttp://www.adamsdriveshaft.com/

I ordered from them on ebay though. It was like $235 including shipping and came with a shirt with their logo (which is pretty cool). They use spicer u joints and the price is good. The yoke is $50 ish, I think you can find those a little cheaper on ebay but since they were shipping and the deal was good I went with them on that too. They will take your call and help you measure out if you need. :chug:

Another option would be to use an XJ or ford explorer front CV shaft. I used an explorer front shaft because they have a thicker tube then the xj. I found it at the bone yard for $25. There will be a need to adjust the length of the tube to fit your drivetrain which you can do yourself or sub it out for short money.

Posi, does the flange just bolt on? same bolt pattern? cause that is a great savings. Thanks

Posi, does the flange just bolt on? same bolt pattern? cause that is a great savings. Thanks

It does (Well, the XJ one does). It just replaces the yoke on the Dana 300 .

I've been planning on doing this for years now, but I keep getting scared off because of the small size of the CV. I've only seen one break on a CJ5 ...I need to google some reviews on using the XJ driveline and see what's really happening with them.

Same goes for the explorer.

Jim, I'd suggest using a beefier 90's explorer's front shaft over the xj.

I am doing a CJ6 mod real soon and was looking for shafts to fit a NP231
that is my interest.

Same goes for the explorer.

Jim, I'd suggest using a beefier 90's explorer's front shaft over the xj.

How does the actual CV size compare between the Ford and the XJ? Or are they relatively the same? The CV yoke and components just look puny on the XJ shaft :(

I had Tom Woods build me a (back when he worked for Ogden Driveshaft) CV shaft on my CJ5 that is a whopping 16 inches longs. 50,000 miles and not a single u-joint failure. I paid a little over $300 for it back in 1997 but it was worth every penny and I would do it again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom