Lockright or Aussie???

Lockright or Aussie???

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
I've definitely decided that I can't justify spending $700 to $900 on a locker for my stock AMC20 rear axle, so I'm going with a much cheaper lunchbox locker that uses the stock carrier. If I ever decide I need more than that, I'll first spend the money to upgrade to a stronger axle.

My choices seem to be down to Lockright and Aussie. Several people have told me Aussie is better, but not why?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two in operation or reliabillity if there really is any????

I don't think there is much difference in how they operate. My research in magazines, manufacturer sites and where I get my parts leads me to believe that the Aussie locker is better built, precision wise, will last longer, and operates smoother. This is direction I am going along with solid axles for my AMC20 . I suggest you visit their sites and look up user comments on the Internet. Good luck. Lockright was my choice up until last year and the critiques on the Aussie as well as my parts store owner's recommendation for the Aussie changed my mind.

I would recommend a Spartan or Aussie.

Lol. I had the lockright in my 7 with the AMC20 and 1 peice axles and it worked great off road but on road you had to learn how to turn with it..... You deffinetly hear it I did a few sharp turns and it would bind up til it would go bang and then you could hear it ticking through the rest of the turn. My instructor in school asked me if my jeep was broke after a sharp turn in the parking lot I told him it was a Detroit and he started laughing

I think I read somewhere that the Aussie was built by a guy that used to work for Lockright. He improved on the design of the Lockright a little and started selling as the Aussie. They are basically the same thing.

I have had no problems with both my Aussies. :chug:

I think I read somewhere that the Aussie was built by a guy that used to work for Lockright. He improved on the design of the Lockright a little and started selling as the Aussie. They are basically the same thing.

I have had no problems with both my Aussies. :chug:

Thanks. When just in rear wheel drive, how noticable is the clicking in turns? Does it ever seem to lock hard and bang when it releases, as I've heard a couple people describe?

From what I understand, there is some clicking in turns. The bang he described comes more from a Detroit full time locker. The Aussie is built to allow for the outside tire to turn faster while in a turn thereby releasing the pressure as you go rather than all of a sudden. It does not however allow for slip when you need the traction.

Tommy

From what I understand, there is some clicking in turns. The bang he described comes more from a Detroit full time locker. The Aussie is built to allow for the outside tire to turn faster while in a turn thereby releasing the pressure as you go rather than all of a sudden. It does not however allow for slip when you need the traction.

Tommy
So it's just mild clicking when the outside wheel is going faster in turns? The way some people have described it you would think it was sounding like it broke.

Thanks for the info. Given the similar price between the two, I'll probably go with the Aussie. :chug:

Correct. Mine just clicks in the turns when off the throttle. If you romp on it around said corner, both tires will be locked in making for an interesting turn.

It will always click as it goes corners with no torque on the drivetrain. If it doesn't, there is something wrong with your locker.

The "bang" isn't restricted to just Detroits. Lockrights do it, No-slips do it, anything with drivers and geared couplers will do it and I suspect the Ausie will also.

The "bang" is simply a circumstance where the gear teeth aren't completely meshing and they suddently drop into position under torque. It sounds worse then it reall is.

:D and it only takes 1 or 2 bangs before you figure out to let off the gas before you turn :chug:

:D and it only takes 1 or 2 bangs before you figure out to let off the gas before you turn :chug:

I particularly like the lurching as the drivetrain binds up :cool:
We're gonna scare the OP away from locking up his axle with all this talk :rolleyes:

I have Aussie's front and rear, can't beat the performance for the price. I haven't had any "bang" but do have mild clicking from the rear but nothing that would turn heads.

I have Aussie's front and rear, can't beat the performance for the price. I haven't had any "bang" but do have mild clicking from the rear but nothing that would turn heads.

I get the "bang" so infrequently, that Im surprised when it does happen:
"BANG!!"
"wth was that?!?"...."Oh yeah, now I remember" :rolleyes:

Click-click-click or tick tick tick is about all I get, when my transfer mount was bad or if any part of your drivetrain is loose you will get that bang for sure. I haven't had it since I made some adjustments but I am sure I can force it.

I found out about spartan after I had lockrite or I would have went that way, the pins are stronger but I think they make a little more noise, at least this article says that. I kind of like the click click noise when turning. People that have no idea or would even know you had a locker as k what it is and you get to explain how awesome you are! :D

Head-To-Head Lunchboxes Drop In Locker Shootout - Spartan Locker - Jp Magazine

Click-click-click or tick tick tick is about all I get, when my transfer mount was bad or if any part of your drivetrain is loose you will get that bang for sure. I haven't had it since I made some adjustments but I am sure I can force it.

I found out about spartan after I had lockrite or I would have went that way, the pins are stronger but I think they make a little more noise, at least this article says that. I kind of like the click click noise when turning. People that have no idea or would even know you had a locker as k what it is and you get to explain how awesome you are! :D

Lol...I agree. The clicking is kinda cool and gets some weird stares from people who dont know what it is. :D

I just had a Dana 44 front built and I added a Spartan locker took it out today in the deep snow. 16"? It worked great! I have a lockright in the rear Dana 44 . They wanted to much money for me to get a lockright for the front. The pastan has the spring inside the pins. easy to set up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom