Lookin for CHEAP bolt on catalytic converters

Lookin for CHEAP bolt on catalytic converters

Seacraft84

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78' CJ5, 304, 3 Speed
I have the AMC 304 with headers and glass packs bolted to them. It will not pass inspection in NC without the CC. I need some cheap ones to bolt on there till January when it will be considered an antique and not have to worry about inspections.
Or if anyone has some used ones laying around I would be happy to take them off your hands. Thanks

I think the best option you have is to go to a Mom & Pop muffler shop and ask them for a cheap inline cat. There are some on ebay for a $100 give or take. The trick is going to be to get ones that won’t restrict your flow and I don’t think just picking one off ebay will be the best way to go. The shop should be able to flange the cats to bolt between the headers and the glass packs. When January comes around just unbolt them.

I bought a cheap slip fit converter at Summit Racing for about $65. It's easy to use their site to narrow down the selection of converters to the right size input and output. Measure twice and cut out a section of your pipe, slip the converter on and clamp it down with cheap exhaust clamps and you're golden.

I believe I may go with clamping them on. Then just get the existing flange welded back on to the glass packs later. Found a guy at work who has two CC he will sell me for $75 for both.

I believe I may go with clamping them on. Then just get the existing flange welded back on to the glass packs later. Found a guy at work who has two CC he will sell me for $75 for both.
It's technically illegal to install untested cats (used) but I bet the EPA won't be looking you up any time soon though. ;) This part of the EPA PDF on cats pertains to salvage yards but may be applied to individuals also.

Link -->> http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

5) What about using converters from salvage yards or junked cars?

EPA considers it a violation of the policy to install a used converter from a salvage yard or sell it for reuse unless it has been properly tested and labeled. Similarly, it is a violation to install an untested used converter brought in by a customer, even if the customer insists that the used converter came off his/her vehicle.

Salvage or junk yards also would be considered liable for causing tampering if they sell converters that have not been tested or do not meet the requirements outlined in the policyand if the converters are subsequently installed by parties named in the Clean Air Act as prohibited from tampering.

I have a cat in good condition off a 79 CJ, PM if interested.

Thanks posi but I bought these two from my buddy this morning. Brand new ones for 75 for both. Hopefully I will get her passed

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom