Looking for a little front axle help, please

Looking for a little front axle help, please

dpuck

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ7, stock 304 with Eldabrock 600 4 bbl. carb., Dana 30 front, T150 Trans, Dana 20 TC and rear axle, Warn 8000 winch. Original paint, running 31's on original spoked wheels. 2 1/2" lift springs with 1/2" lift heavy duty shackles.
Getting sterted on the front hubs on my Dana 30 front axle (78 CJ) and ran into a snag right off the bat. The outer locking nut is ROUND with about 5 or 6 small holes in the face. I tried budging it with a punch, but I could only get it ti rock back and forth a small amount. Antone ever see this or have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated.

From the picture it looks like you need to remove the snap rings first.

The snap ring for the warn hub is off. I don't see any other, nor is there room on the end of the spindle for one.

A couple of cans of spray brake cleaner will give you a better look at the threads on this project. the nut on a 78 is supposed to be a 2 1/16 inch nut rather than holes. I think. have you opened up the other side?? I am thinking this may not be the right nut for the job. I would clean it up to see if you have something cross threaded.:cool:
Oh yea, wear glasses /goggles with the spray cleaner, that stuff hurts like a B(#@# when you get it in your eyes.

I've seen nuts like that, they usually have a notch cut in them for the tab to bend over into. I'm not seeing that in yours though.

Could be a version of :

images

From the picture it looks like you need to remove the snap rings first.
5198d1304709683-looking-little-front-axle-help-please-front-hub.jpg

from your picture it looks like you still have one snap ring in the way. The opening in on the right. It goes around the axle shaft.

Last edited:
I think he is right.:D

5198d1304709683-looking-little-front-axle-help-please-front-hub.jpg

from your picture it looks like you still have one snap ring in the way. The opening in on the right. It goes around the axle shaft.

73cj got it right too the lock ring is on the outside, it is assembled wrong. should be nut, lock ring, nut. :cool:
Pull the snap ring off and the washer with the holes in it should slide off. don't try to rotate it the locking key lines up with the slot in the spindle. I think one of the nuts has a pin in it that needs to be inserted into one of the holes in the lock ring. thats what keeps the rear nut from coming un put together.:D

That ring is threaded. That shiny thing between th axle shaft and the ring is the spindle. The outside face of the ring is flush with the end of the spingle. There is no snap ring that I can see. I looked at the other side and it is the same way. I think someone put it together wrong, but I need to get it off.

I really think I can see a wire ring right up against the stop on the spindle.:cool:

I've been looking at some old manuals & they all show a nut on the outside.
I'm thinking maybe the P.O. put it together backwards.
What I'm seeing is the gap that looks like a snap ring is the keyway in the spindle.
IMHO I would try to hook something in holes on opposite sides or as close as you can get & try to work it off.
Something like a small easyout

I've been looking at some old manuals & they all show a nut on the outside.
I'm thinking maybe the P.O. put it together backwards.
What I'm seeing is the gap that looks like a snap ring is the keyway in the spindle.
IMHO I would try to hook something in holes on opposite sides or as close as you can get & try to work it off.
Something like a small easyout

even some screws & a couple of pair of vice grips might do the trick.

there is something about this dog that just won't hunt. are we sure this is the OEM front axle? :D

Well, I finally got it figured out. Three of them there holes had set screws in them. There was a washer behind them with slots for the screws, thus locking them in place. Of couse I screwed on of them up pretty bad, so I had todrill them out. Going back together with the traditional double nut and locking washer. AfterI got the bearings out, it was a piece of cake taking it the rest of the way down. The u-joints were gaarbage as well as the manual locking hubs. So, new Warn premiums are going back on. Started putting it back together, and damn it, they had given me the wrong inner bearing and grease seal. So, it's back to the parts house in the morning.

Would you give us pics of what you took out? I'm still wondering where these parts came from. The set screw idea sounds almost like a good one. I would like the details ,if you would,:D please.

It just occured to me that you may have the right seal and bearing but the wrong axle??

Last edited:
Would you give us pics of what you took out? I'm still wondering where these parts came from. The set screw idea sounds almost like a good one. I would like the details ,if you would,:D please.

It just occured to me that you may have the right seal and bearing but the wrong axle??

You could be right. You never know what's been done to one of these old jeeps. I've only had it for about six years.
I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up.

IO's got a good point, Hell none of my Jeeps have stock axles in them.
There have been many "Trick" setups over years too.
Stage 8 has a "Trick" setup now.

Since it was never a problem for me, I never went for them.

PO must have upgraded for you.

The photo I promise

I have to retract the staement about the wrong bearings, it was a tight fit and they were cocked on the spindle, but the grease seal was all wrong. I finally got it finished. Took it for a road test and everything seems fine. I'm ready to hit the road and try out a few trails.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom