Loose hub bolts

Loose hub bolts

Sasquach

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 258 w/4.0head, Mopar MPI, P.S., P.B.,Tilt wheel, No stereo, t-18, t-20, amc 20, dana-30 w/tru-trac, Warn full float w/locking hubs & Detroit locker in the AMC.
1964 CJ3B, 4-134
1952 M100 trailer
Just back from first camping/wheeling trip of the year and when unlocking the front hubs for the tow home I noticed the bolts holding the Warn hubs on were all about 2-3 full turns loose :eek:. I am using the original supplied bolts with a lock and flat washer but did not use any locktite or silicon etc.
Anyone have the cure? not sure locktite would be they way to go but maybe it is?

most people end up doing away with the bolts and use studs.
not sure why it makes a difference, but it seem to.

most people end up doing away with the bolts and use studs.
not sure why it makes a difference, but it seem to.

Thanks, That makes sense. That with nylock nuts might be my fix.

I've gone the stud route. They work for a while, but . . . the hub threaded holes oval-ed. And yes I used gobs of Locktite stud lock.

I gone to the internal Ford AMC 150 hubs. End of problem. Plus I haven't blown one up (yet?)

Don't ask me why but these bolts get loose faster than any other bolts on a jeep. Studs sound like a really good idea but I use non-removable locktite. I still find them loose once a year.

Last edited:
I guess thats why they originaly came with the washer with the tab you bent over. I use locktite on just about everything but this is something that seems to require a bit more attention than usual. Why would studs stay tite better than bolts??:confused:

Coincidentally, yesterday I noticed 2 bolts were missing fron the drivers side hub. When I checked I found all the hub bolts on both sides were loose.

Thanks for the feedback team!

As I think about this problem it's maybe not so unlikely, when locked they are asked to transfer all the rotational torque from axle to wheel. I'm also thinking it's not so prevelent with an open carrier as torque transfers to the wheel with no grip, I had no problems with this untill installing a LS.
Does this make any scense?

Oh ya, 73CJ...NO FORD parts going in my JEEP! :D

As I think about this problem it's maybe not so unlikely, when locked they are asked to transfer all the rotational torque from axle to wheel. :D
I agree. It's the rotational force on the hub and it's not all forward rotational. Deceleration and acceleration push back and forth on those bolts.

Coincidentally, yesterday I noticed 2 bolts were missing fron the drivers side hub. When I checked I found all the hub bolts on both sides were loose.
If everyone were to check those bolts I bet this thread will uncover a lot of loose hub bolts.

If everyone were to check those bolts I bet this thread will uncover a lot of loose hub bolts.

Probably right.

I was trying to picture the carnage if they were to loosen to the point either the bolts snap off or the drive splines shear form minimal engagement. :eek:

Not pretty

Probably right.

I was trying to picture the carnage if they were to loosen to the point either the bolts snap off or the drive splines shear form minimal engagement. :eek:

Not pretty
When those bolts come loose the hub twists and breaks. I think loose bolts are the most common reason that hubs fail.
Warning: these pictures may not be appropriate if you have a weak stomach.
DSC05356.png

DSC01129.jpg

131_0507_tral_06_z.jpg

I have wanted to try stage 8 hub bolts. I use them on my headers and they work great. I am using studs on my hubs now, have to check them regularly.

I have wanted to try stage 8 hub bolts. I use them on my headers and they work great. I am using studs on my hubs now, have to check them regularly.

Good thinking, new idea for what IO mentioned about the old style bent lock tab that my 64 3b has.

offroadhub.jpg

Oh ya, 73CJ...NO FORD parts going in my JEEP! :D

Now it only hurts once when you order them to say Ford.

Really it's a Dana that everone used. Like Saginaw power steering that GM owned.

131_0507_tral_06_z.jpg

That's why I did it. Saw this too many times. . . .

Try using lock washers instead of the tabs on those bolts.

IMHO the best fix is the newer style internal hubs, that's what I run anyway.
BTW if your running lockers & do much wheeling it's a good habit to regularly check your lug nuts because they too will "Get Loose".;)

IMHO the best fix is the newer style internal hubs, that's what I run anyway.
What kind of hubs? Please explain:confused:
You still have manual locking hubs, don't you?
Are you talking about the non-selectable hubs found on the newer wranglers?
jeep%20hub.jpg

Try using lock washers instead of the tabs on those bolts.
I've used lockwashers and still, they will loosen.
i've shattered hubs several times because of loose hub bolts. I am in a routine now of checking them before every trip...and midway through.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom