Loose hub bolts

Loose hub bolts
Warn Front Hub Conversion Kit - 5 on 5.5" 71-86 Jeep, International CJ, Harvester Scout, 30 spline hub
[WAR.61650] $517.73:eek:

View attachment 5845
Click to enlarge
This upgrade kit converts front axle wheel hubs to WARN 5 x 5.5 premium mount internal hubs. Now you can replace any and all front Jeep wheel hubs, including the infamous 5 bolt wheel hubs found on 1981-86 Jeeps.

WARN premium all metal locking hubs use the proven internal spline mount locking system, which eliminates all possibility of loosening hubs. Seals are included to help lock out dirt, moisture and contaminants. These hubs have proven dependable on the most rugged terrain.
Note: The above applications require reusing of stock bearings and seals. Optional disk bearing kit PN 38072 or drum bearing kit PN 38073
71-80 International Harvester Scout, 30 spline hub
72-86 Jeep CJ, 30 spline hub

It seems they're a lot more $'s than I remember, but still available.:cool:

I like it, I'm gona do the same IO. You could use them either with the stud method or standard bolts, the only down side I see is not real conveneint to check for tightness but in theory at least you should not have to.:chug:

I have also had the loose bolt problem, but if you take them apart and grease them regularly they should not get loose, i check mine once a month so they really never have the chance to loosen

I found, upon inspection a few months ago, I was missing one bolt on one hub...

Thought some du-face had forgotten a bolt on re-assembly one day. Now i know what actually happened.

Need to go home and check them all out... was waiting until rebuild the front diff to pack bearings and replace missing bolt, but might bump that up a little :cool:

Thanks all for the useful info / thread!
:chug:
~ JR

Warn Front Hub Conversion Kit - 5 on 5.5" 71-86 Jeep, International CJ, Harvester Scout, 30 spline hub

View attachment 5845
Click to enlarge
This upgrade kit converts front axle wheel hubs to WARN 5 x 5.5 premium mount internal hubs. Now you can replace any and all front Jeep wheel hubs, including the infamous 5 bolt wheel hubs found on 1981-86 Jeeps.

WARN premium all metal locking hubs use the proven internal spline mount locking system, which eliminates all possibility of loosening hubs. Seals are included to help lock out dirt, moisture and contaminants. These hubs have proven dependable on the most rugged terrain.
Note: The above applications require reusing of stock bearings and seals. Optional disk bearing kit PN 38072 or drum bearing kit PN 38073

If you don't have front discs go with F150 disc/ hubs that already have internal style hubs. Way less than $517. Ouch!

I don't understand these "internal style hubs"
Somebody school me.

No studs to loosen.

z7ygI-eFzxBhrO8RprqIf-WHYY2Kn-zJsqvHx_R4OtlxMg0USA.jpg

Ohhh.
Splines in the hub. Splines on the shaft.
The bolts don't keep the hub from rotating. The splines do.
Yes, I can see why that's a better design.

View attachment 5845
Click to enlarge

The Warn doesn't include the brake - drum or disk. Checking the Warn site, they may have discontinued the kit. Some distributors may still have some on the shelves. . .

The Ford discs just use different bearing and the CJ disc spindle (longer). And the Warn internal style hub. Parts are cheap and will be available for years.

73CJ

Can you help me find the particulars in the ford internal swap you're mentioning. I'd like to explore the option further.

~ JR

JR

I'll PM you

dont keep this a secret. please let us all in on your hub secret. no one likes carnage like the earlier pics. please dont let it happen to anyone else

lol.

If he doesn't post it I will if you're interested.

So far we were both busy over the weekend, so minimal info was shared.

He's going to be trying to get some pics and such together, but mainly seeing if it is compatible with the Dana 30 front, as his is a Dana 44 waggy shortened.

I'm, so far, still leaning towards the fixing what I have option, but when I am ready for disc's up front and possibly a Dana 44 option, this would be sweet info to bookmark :D

~ JR

OK Let's talk about the spindles

• 3 spindles in the picture are Dana 30 , Dana 44 Waggy (78) & a Chevy small bearing spindle
  • All have a 6 hole 4" bolt circle
  • All have a 3.375" pilot stub that mates to the knuckle
  • I used the Chevy small spindle with A10 wheel bearing sets
  • And the 1978 Waggy Dana 44
Hubs/ rotors

• F150 early 90s
  • Internal Warn hubs
Caliper & mounts

• 78 Waggy
I'll go check the axle shaft sizes

I can not believe none of you guys use safety wire!!!!!! or lock wire as some may call it, I come from a off road race background and this is commonplace on a race vehicle, anything that does not use a nut, gets wired, its very simple, small hole in the head of the bolt and .020 stainless wire gets threaded through twisted tightly and then routed through the next bolt, it has to be done it the right direction to avoid the wire pulling it loose rather then tight, but once you get the hang of it, it is very easy, I drilled my bolts out myself with a drill press but bolts with holes can be purchased and a good hardware store or race shop, much cheaper then all the other options and it works perfect! mine stay tight cause the wire will not let them come loose, its a perfect fix. if any of you guys need a pic to help explain, pm me a I can text you one. I cant seem to get one on here...

I can not believe none of you guys use safety wire!!!!!! or lock wire as some may call it, I come from a off road race background and this is commonplace on a race vehicle, anything that does not use a nut, gets wired, its very simple, small hole in the head of the bolt and .020 stainless wire gets threaded through twisted tightly and then routed through the next bolt, it has to be done it the right direction to avoid the wire pulling it loose rather then tight, but once you get the hang of it, it is very easy, I drilled my bolts out myself with a drill press but bolts with holes can be purchased and a good hardware store or race shop, much cheaper then all the other options and it works perfect! mine stay tight cause the wire will not let them come loose, its a perfect fix. if any of you guys need a pic to help explain, pm me a I can text you one. I cant seem to get one on here...

I'm "semi-new" and this is only the second time I have heard of this option... Would you please post some pics?

Here's a link for how to post pics, if that's what you meant about not being able to post pics here... http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f16/how-attach-images-post-1270/

~ JR

unfortunately my problem posting pictures is that I cant get them on here from my phone, ill use my camera, that connects to my pc and I can load them that way. I will do it tomorrow cause my garage is dark now and they will be hard to see. check back tomorrow evening :D

unfortunately my problem posting pictures is that I cant get them on here from my phone, ill use my camera, that connects to my pc and I can load them that way. I will do it tomorrow cause my garage is dark now and they will be hard to see. check back tomorrow evening :D

No worries bud, whenever you can.

If easier for you, I can PM you my phone number and you can send them to me, then ill e-mail them to myself and post them up for all, either way though no hurry!

Cheers and thanks! :chug:

~ JR

OK Let's talk about the spindles

• 3 spindles in the picture are Dana 30 , Dana 44 Waggy (78) & a Chevy small bearing spindle
  • All have a 6 hole 4" bolt circle
  • All have a 3.375" pilot stub that mates to the knuckle
  • I used the Chevy small spindle with A10 wheel bearing sets
  • And the 1978 Waggy Dana 44
Hubs/ rotors

• F150 early 90s
  • Internal Warn hubs
Caliper & mounts

• 78 Waggy
I'll go check the axle shaft sizes

I think I am over my head with this... I get "it" mostly...

But not sure... 73CJ you should do (or maybe you already have) a how to thread / write up! :cool: I'll sticky it for you and make you famous for life! :laugh:

~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom