Loose Shifter cable?

Loose Shifter cable?

JeepBoy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ5
Hey guys I was just out driving my 1981 Jeep CJ5 and my stick shift seemed to have locked up right before I got home. I mean really locked up the thing will barely budge. I repeatedly tried the clutch to no avail, it's a 4 spd and was shifting absolutely perfect before this happened. I was wondering if the shift cable came loose or something.

If so what type of job would that be to fix? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to repair. Also if you think it could be something else please let me know, thanks.

You probably have it locked in 4wd and have been driving on hard surfaces enough that you have a condition called Gear Bind. It will destroy your drivetrain if you keep driving it like that.
Very carefully roll the CJ in reverse as far as you can, while keeping pressure on the stick shift.Eventually it will pop out of gear. Then go unlock the front hubs and take it out of 4wd mode.

BTW, there is no cable shift CJ that I am aware of, and you do not have a CJ2 , as mentioned in your profile...:laugh:

Well I tried that this morning, turns out it wasn't even in 4 wheel drive. I did try rolling it to try and pop it out but the stick still won't budge (stuck in Neutral). Plenty of spring in the clutch, any other thoughts?

Is it stuck in neutral or jammed in gear? Will it coast or do you have to press in the clutch to move it?
I think you have a T-4 Transmission . It's a light duty tranny.
The shift mechanism in manual transmissions are made to disengage a gear before you go into neutral. I am thinking your Transmission is worn and you got it into neutral before you disengaged 2nd gear. Then the tranny jammed when you tried to get it into 3rd.
That's my guess. Where is the shift lever now? Try to get it into neutral.
I think your tranny may need a rebuild or replacement.
deadhorse.gif

Well I opened up the panel and removed my shift stick. Turns out the linkage is broken, I can even see bits of metal floating inside the Transfer Case . Transmission is fine, I can still use 4 wheel drive to get around town. I'll take it in to my Jeep guy tomorrow.

Thanks again for your all help guys. :)

Loose shifter

Hello all, noobe here, I have a 1981 CJ5 4 speed and yesterday all of a sudden the shifter would rotate to the point of almost hitting the dash. Please tell me there is an easy fix for this. What do I need to look for, thanks in advance

Last edited:
Loose shifter

Hello all, noobe here, I have a 1981 CJ5 4 speed and yesterday all of a sudden the shifter would rotate to the point of almost hitting the dash. Please tell me there is an easy fix for this. What do I need to look for, thanks in advance

First I don't think it's a cable but not knowing what Transmission you have it would be hard to answer your ?. If it is stock it may be a T-176 and the shifter fits into the top of the Transmission and you would need to pull the top off to see whats going on.

Re: Loose shifter

There is a pin for the shift lever that prevents it from turning.
wm_9N7221B.jpg
I think that pin may be broken. Hopefully one piece didn't fall into the gears.
Make sure it is in neutral (that's important) and then remove the shift lever to check the pin.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom