low rpm sputtering... help!!

low rpm sputtering... help!!

gumbycj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 304 v8, stock driveline
hello everyone, i just picked up a 79 CJ5 with the AMC 304 v8 and it has been having some issues when taking off or driving offroad at low speeds. when i start to take my foot off of the clutch it sputters and sounds like its about to die out and it loses power, untill i start to get enough forward momentum. once i hit about 5-10mph it runs fine. i just put new plugs, wires, filter, fuel pump ( electronic) hose lines, and i still cant figure out the problem. i have adjusted my carb many times ( motorcraft 2100) and still cant seem to get it right. any ideas on what it might be? maybe egr valve sticking? too much fuel going into the carb? :bang:

oh and i have another question regaurding the vacuum lines.. mine are crazy! they are just tied in with each other, and there are these canister lookin ordeals that bolt up to the exhaust manifolds and i cant seem to find any info.. think maybe this jeep was once a california jeep? think the emissions laws can cause the crazy wiring?
:madjeep:

check accelerater pump use small propane torch to check vaccum leaks ;ps dont light torch

so i found out that my jeep had the "california" vacuum hose fiasco... i have removed all of that ( love the fact that the city i love in doesnt have emissions) and tomorrow i am putting it all back together.. so hopefully i wont have anymore vacuum leaks ( there were probably 20 some odd lines just running around) and my carb wasnt sealing right on the bottom.. so i am fixing this as well :eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom