Marking the flywheel and pressure plate?

Marking the flywheel and pressure plate?

Rollie

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5, Basically stock except for electronic ignition.
I'm going to change out my clutch on my 1975 CJ5 here soon. I haven't changed one since the 70s, so I was reading my Haynes and my Chilton manual and they both said to mark the flywheel, clutch cover, and clutch plate with a punch so that they can go back together the same way they came apart. First of all, what it the difference between the clutch cover and the pressure plate? The second thing is if I'm going to replace everything and going to resurface the flywheel, why would marking it when I take it apart help me? As I remember changing the clutch was a pretty straight forward operation. Thanks.

I'm just a shadetree mechanic, but I've never marked one going on or off. Not sure why they say to do that, as they should be neutral balanced. The flywheel only goes on one way, sure, but you can just line it up by eye.

The clutch cover is the metal thing with springs and fingers, the pressure plate is the disc with the lining on it.

Really not necessary to mark them but I do anyway. Just my old ways of engine building... :) I mark everything!

The only thing i mark is the flywheel on the crank.. I dont think it matters but something inside says to do it.

I'm going to change out my clutch on my 1975 CJ5 here soon. I haven't changed one since the 70s, so I was reading my Haynes and my Chilton manual and they both said to mark the flywheel, clutch cover, and clutch plate with a punch so that they can go back together the same way they came apart. First of all, what it the difference between the clutch cover and the pressure plate? The second thing is if I'm going to replace everything and going to resurface the flywheel, why would marking it when I take it apart help me? As I remember changing the clutch was a pretty straight forward operation. Thanks.

:)First off there should be a dowel pin in the crank & the flywheel so that there is only one position for it to go back on.
Clutch cover & Pressure plate are the same thing!
And since you are starting with new surfaces & a new clutch cover marking the old stuff would not be needed but I would mark the new as CJ has stated is just good practice.
Although it is straight forward make sure you put that new clutch plate in correctly. Also, make sure you change the throw out bearing while your in there and I like to put a little antiseze on the bearing collar for the bearing to slide on.
:D:D:D:D

I'm just a shadetree mechanic, but I've never marked one going on or off. Not sure why they say to do that, as they should be neutral balanced. The flywheel only goes on one way, sure, but you can just line it up by eye.

The clutch cover is the metal thing with springs and fingers, the pressure plate is the disc with the lining on it.
I would agree with this. Except the clutch cover is the pressure plate then you have the clutch disc.

I would agree with this. Except the clutch cover is the pressure plate then you have the clutch disc.

Yep..brain fart there on my part...:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom