metal gauge

metal gauge
Just be careful when cutting away the old metal. You should get the body level and then weld a couple temporary braces to keep things from moving or twisting while the structural integrity has been removed. You don't want to weld up a new side only to find out the finished body has a twist or buckle in it. It's better to do things a section at a time.

That's basically what I did. I had a local sheet metal shop cut a piece of 16 gauge steel about 36"- 42" long by 8" high and bend a 90 degree lip on one of the long ends to make a new rocker panel. Then I just trimmed the top to fit the cutout I needed. I welded it in place and ground it smooth. Then a skim coat of body filler, sanding, and ready for primer.

What kind $ did u pay for that much metal?

It's been about 10 yrs ago since I rebuilt and painted the tub. I probably paid $25 - $40 for each side with the bend. I made the lip underneath the rockers a bit longer than stock for strength. Then I riveted on the diamond plate aluminum sides over the rockers. It's fairly strong. Just about any sheet metal shop will do this. The only labor is the bend. Shearing the metal to size is a 10 second job.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom