Moab in March?

Moab in March?

KenB

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ7, 258 I6, D30, D300, D20, TF6 Auto, 95 YJ Rio Grande, 2.5L, AX5, 02 Dodge 2500 Diesel, 09 Prius (hers)
Hope this is in the right spot.
I got an invitation for me and my old CJ to go to Moab with my son and granddaughter during Spring Break. Not sure exactly where they're thinking about, but they have been there before, running a stock Cherokee. He's done some mods to it since then and want's to go again.
I'm looking for some advice/opinions or been there/done that's.
First, the old 81 CJ7 - it's in good running condition - 258 6, stock 30/300/20 drivetrain, auto, MC2100 carb, 2" lift, swaybar disconnects, 32" BFG km2, 8000 Warn winch.
He figures 2 days up and 2 back, so I'm thinking trailer queen. She'll cruise at 60 here in the flatlands, but there's some hills between here and there.
I'm not a rock crawler, more of a trail runner.
So, what do you think:
trailer it or drive it?
places to go, things to see?
weather?
mandatory spare parts?
Any and all advice and opinions appreciated.

I have never been but from what I understand they have trails suited for every thing from a lunar rover to a Buick Riviera. I thought the Jamboree happened later in the year, like there would be a chance of snow in Feb. :cool:

Yeah, I'm thinking he may want to take my Riviera butt on the lunar rover routes. :D

I was there last year during Easter with no Jeep. The Jeep safari was happening. It's just crazy how many Jeeps, & 4xs were there. Big event !
My Cj wasn't up for the journey then, but this year may be different.
I live 400 miles from Moab,& pretty sure i'd trailer if possible.
Thay call it "Slickrock", but it's not very slick. Mostly sandstone.
There's gotta be 50 trails designated for us, some tame, some not so much. Google it, you'll see some good carnage.
The weather can be any combination imaginable.
We camped for 5 nites, & the last 2 we wimped out,& moteled it.
Don't miss "Arches National Park".
I would take extra gas cans, lots of water, tool kit,& probably leave the big parts at home. That's just me.
There are so many other people doing what we do there's usually someone close to help out, & there are shops in town that specialize in Jeeps,& trail recovery.
I'm not sure i'd go when the Safari is happening, way busy,& i think you have to join the crowd,reserve the trail times, sign off liability, etc.
Just me though, i like having my space,& play my own game.

Have fun !

Yep. EJS is not the time to be there, the trails are crowded but if that doesn't bother you it's a lot of fun.

We try to go a week before or after EJS so we dont have to "wait in line" on the trails.

The weather can be anything from snow to rain to dry conditions that time of the year (March)

EJS is April 16th -24th so you won't have that to contend with. It will have the chance to be cooler when you are there in March, but then you will have less crowds. (normal temps are in the mid to high 40's)

Good site for info on the area is Moab Utah Tourist Information | Lodging, Biking, Rafting, National Parks, Arches, Canyonlands, Motels, RV, Campgrounds, Tours, Colorado River Raft, Mountainbike, Climbing, Film

Would highly recommend visiting Arches NP while you are there. Some great views. Trails that are both nice and scenic I would say perhaps Schaffer Trail leading out of Canyonlands NP and winding down along the river and the Potash Farms. Also Fins and Things is a nice easier trail with some nice views.

Moab Brewery has some good food and if you are into beer, they have a sampler set of 10 small glasses of different beers to try.

Thanks guys.
Checked the dates, and the tentative plan would put us there about two weeks before the Safari. Neither of us is really in to organized events, so the dates should work out.
I'm leaning much more to trailering than driving up there. Top comfortable speed on the CJ is 60, plus all the gas stops, would make it a looong drive. The ole Dodge will pull it at 70-80, when the opportunity presents itself.
I tend to get frost bite going north of Dallas, but the heater works good. Haven't driven in snow for a lot of years, but think I might remember how. Definitely going to 'motel' it!! I like cold beer and a warm bed.:D
Arches will definitely be on the agenda.

Definitely going to 'motel' it!! I like cold beer and a warm bed.:D

Amen

This is a cellphone pic from the front of my pickup while I could still see the road in front of me on a April ride to Moab two years back. I was flat towing my CJ and while going over a bridge on West I-70 I went sideways for a short while but stayed on the asphalt. Have fun in Jeep Heaven.

Last edited:
Well I guess we are looking at doing Easter jeep.... anyone going this year
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks