Name that Noise!

Name that Noise!

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
I have a growling noise coming from the front of my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine. It's worst at cold start up but is constantly there when the engine is running. What's the most common cause? Water pump? Power steering pump?

I have a 3GPP2 video/sound of it, but that isn't a valid file for this forum. :(

I have a growling noise coming from the front of my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine. It's worst at cold start up but is constantly there when the engine is running. What's the most common cause? Water pump? Power steering pump?

I have a 3GPP2 video/sound of it, but that isn't a valid file for this forum. :(

Water pump should have a weap hole that will start dripping.
I can't remember ever hearing one.
Alternators can make a whining noise when the bearings are shot.
Power steering pumps can scream like a wounded cat.:eek:
Belts squeal. It's hard to diagnose a sound.;)

I've heard power steering pumps make noises anywhere between a growl & a rumble, besides the screech from a loose belt. Gets noisier as you crank the wheel from side to side. Sounds a lot like a guy on a creeper rolling across a wooden floor.

a water pump can squeal. my guess is the bearings are shot in something i'd pull the belts off and start it up see if the noise stops, if it does then its definitely one of your acc. just don't run it long, as it will run hot, and kill the battery. if the noise does not stop then you have something a little more serious going on inside the motor.

i've heard alternators make some wierd noises, one of the wierdest was a knocking noise that sounded like it was coming from the bottom end of the motor. could have swore the motor was knocking even an ase certified mech. said the motor was shot. it was an xj we got to listening a little closer with a pipe and found out it was the alternator

Old mechanic's trick. Take a small broom handle or wooden dowel ( I use a 36" piece of plunger handle). Start the engine, then hold the stick up near your ear touching your finger, with your finger stuck in your ear. Move it around (the stick, not your finger!) putting the far end on any suspect part (water pump, ALT, valve covers, ect) and see if you can pinpoint the noise with that. There is usually an obvious place for the source.

Old mechanic's trick. Take a small broom handle or wooden dowel ( I use a 36" piece of plunger handle). Start the engine, then hold the stick up near your ear touching your finger, with your finger stuck in your ear. Move it around (the stick, not your finger!) putting the far end on any suspect part (water pump, ALT, valve covers, ect) and see if you can pinpoint the noise with that. There is usually an obvious place for the source.

...and DO try to keep it out of the spinning fan. :D

guess my post about using that stethoscope laying around is to high tech here
opinion may not be appreciated by others :chug:

Ack! I hope it's not the oil pump! Are there any tell-tale signs, other than elminating all of the accessories on the front of the motor?

FYI: Oil pressure is good...if the gauge on the dash is to be believed...

did you pull the belt off and start it? did the noise stop? you really should try it. a stethoscope will work if you got one, but a pipe, dowel, broom handle, etc. will work for listening to an engine to. oil pump is possibility, sorry to say. process of elimination is the easiest way to go.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom