Name this Transmission!

gliryan

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'70 Postal DJ/CJ
'80 CJ5 Laredo w/ 304
'76 BMW 2002
I'm trying to figure out what Transmission I have so I know whether or not my 360 and bellhousing are correct to bolt up. The body was not originally on this frame so I don't know its year, but its is an early "C" channel frame. I'll post up all my pics of the Transmission and tcase. Not sure if it matters, but the shifter doesn't have threads for a knob, its just a rounded point sort of. And its a 3 speed. The 360 I have was bolted up to a T-15 3 speed, so thats the bellhousing I have.

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

not sure if it matters but there is the exhaust. not sure what motor was in this.
IMG_2007.jpg

Last edited:
What you have there is a T-90 3SPD with the Dana Model 18 Tcase. If you're gonna go with a AMC V8 from the looks of it you're gonna need a bellhousing.

Lame… I wonder if it would be easier to buy a tranny, or at least easier to find as I know of one with a Dana 20 on it, just wants $AMC 150 .

So to specifically ask, the T-15 and T-90 use different bellhousings?

Depends on what engine they were mated to, like yours was most likely mated to the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 v6 which was a GM motor, all AMC belhousings are virtually the same only differance would be the bellhousing to Transmission mounting holes, I know the SR4 and T-18 /19 are not a direct bolt up on Transmission side. the engine side is all the same AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , AMC 304 , 343, 360, 401.

Well just looking at the exhaust it sort of looks like there was a 4 cylinder in this frame. But what I'm wondering is if I yank the bellhousing off my T-90 thats in the jeep right now will my bellhousing that I have attached to my 360 (the T-15 housing) bolt up? So the T-90 and T-15 would have to have the same bellhousing mounting holes.

heres my motor and bellhousing. I need to know if the T-90 is going to bolt up to that or to that housing.

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

I believe it will. On the one I have in the Scrambler came from a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /SR4 setup, the 2 bottom hole were right and just drilled and tapped the top ones and haven't had any issues. Also i think it was in '76 they changed the depth of the bellhousing pre '76 was ~9 in and the post '77 was only ~7 in", I have one that was bolted to the '73 AMC 304 that I just put in the Scrambler, which would be what you need if that's the original Transmission in it and you use that one. The input shaft will be different lenghts due to the change in bellhousing design.

From the looks of it you have the better version for swapibilty since it has the mutiple mounting holes, so I think you should be good to go to bolt any Borg Warner Transmission to that one.

Also that is definately the Dana Model 18 tcase, it was the only tcase they ever used that was offset front and rear for the outputs

Awesome thanks. I knew it was an 18 tcase, but I had no idea on the tranns and bellhousing deal. I'm just goin to stop looking for a new bellhousing or Transmission then and try to see if it'll fit when I bring the cj to my garage. Anyone have any issues on the early CJ5 's when switching to a Dana 20 tcase with the non offset rear output?

I hope I'm not too late chiming in here, but you have a T-90 Transmission that was behind a four cylinder engine. If you want to bolt it to that 360 (which you don't really) you'll need to find the six cylinder input shaft or a six cylinder version of that tranny. The six cylinder version has a longer input shaft that will allow you to use an adapter plate between the tranny and bell housing. IMO, you will grenade that little T-90 the first time you catch second gear on a heavy peddle. Your best bet is to find a Ford T-18 or T-19 and adapt that to your Dana 18 Transfer Case . The adapter's going to be pricey, but the heavier truck four speed will ahndle that 360. The Ford Tranny will bolt up to the bell housing on the 360, so all you'll need on the engine end is a 1 1/16" clutch disk and a custom crank bushing from Novak, which you'd need anyway with the T-90 .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom