Need a measurement

derf

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas4spd/D44/9" - In Progress
1984 GW - 360/TF727/NP229/D44/M23 - NP242 swap in progress
1986 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208/D44/D60 - 700R4 upgrade in the works
So I'm working on fabricating my Transmission mount on my entirely not-stock build. I have the basic concept for the design worked out but I am trying to make sure I get the Transmission and Transfer Case lined up reasonably well.

Can someone measure for me where the tail shaft yoke lines up above or below the bottom of the frame rail? I'm guessing below. Even better if you can take a picture of how far it droops.

I appreciate the help.

I would think that you would want the yoke square to mother earth so the front Transfer Case yoke wasn't pointing up.

I have seen some t-cases droop with a front yoke pointing slightly up. Nothing a CV joint can't handle.

But I want to make sure before I go fitting and welding.

I have seen some t-cases droop with a front yoke pointing slightly up. Nothing a CV joint can't handle.

But I want to make sure before I go fitting and welding.

What Old Dog is saying is true. You want to keep the TCase level with the ground.
On the other hand some people will lift the jeep a few inches and that causes trouble with the drive shaft angles. Since the rear drive shaft on a CJ is shorter than the front you will have problems with the rear drive shaft before the front. For that reason some people will lower the TCase when they lift the suspension. This will improve the rear drive shaft angles. It will also make the front drive shaft worse, but not much since it is a longer drive shaft.

What Old Dog is saying is true. You want to keep the TCase level with the ground.
On the other hand some people will lift the jeep a few inches and that causes trouble with the drive shaft angles. Since the rear drive shaft is shorter than the front you will have problems with the rear drive shaft before the front. For that reason some people will lower the TCase when they lift the suspension. This will improve the rear drive shaft angles. It will also make the front drive shaft worse, but not much since it is a longer drive shaft.

That makes sense.

With my stretched wheelbase and a CV yoke on the back of the Atlas I think I'm in good shape for a level Transfer Case , even with my spring over.

I guess it's time to commit to tack welds at least tomorrow. Thanks fellas. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom