Need advice on engine rebuild

Need advice on engine rebuild

jeepboy45

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7, Newly rebuilt AMC 360!, fully rebuilt GM TH400, Quadra-trac TC w/Milemarker 2x4 conversion, AMC mod 20 rear w/1 piece Moser axleshafts, mod 30 front w/tie rod flip and castor correction shims, 4 in lift, Centech complete wiring harness, dual electric fans on 3 core aluminum radiator, tilt steering wheel, 20 gal poly gas tank, new J20 steering box, MSD 6A ignition combined with TeamRush distributor mods
Hey all,
I have a AMC 360 at the machine shop right now. I want to build it fairly stock, with the exception of cam, intake, carb..... and by the end of the year have it fuel injected. Other than that, nothing real radical. My goal is to have a powerful --- reliable --- durable engine.

When I dropped it off, the cylinder walls looked pretty good to me, and I thought I was going to be able to get away with just a hone job to the cylinder walls. But they had to go .030 over with 7 of the 8 cylinders. The other one still didnt fully clean up. They wanted to sleeve the remaining cylinder and bore to .030 to match the others.

Since pistons are available in either .030, .040, and .060, I asked them to go .040 over in an attempt to get the remaining cylinder wall clean. A couple days later they called me to tell me that .040 wasnt quite enough.

I told them I wanted the weekend to think it over...

My options:
1. bring them another block with the hopes of honing it or boring it .030
2. sleeve the one cylinder (which I AM NOT a fan of)
3. telling them to go .060 (potential overheating issues????)

Please lemme hear what your thoughts are....I need to let them know something by Tuesday or Wednesday...

thanks,
brian

Why do you have a problem with them sleeving it? They have been doing this for many years and I have never heard of a problem with it. I have a friend running a 396 in a 70 nova that has a sleeve and is one bad ride.

Hey all,
I have a AMC 360 at the machine shop right now. I want to build it fairly stock, with the exception of cam, intake, carb..... and by the end of the year have it fuel injected. Other than that, nothing real radical. My goal is to have a powerful --- reliable --- durable engine.

When I dropped it off, the cylinder walls looked pretty good to me, and I thought I was going to be able to get away with just a hone job to the cylinder walls. But they had to go .030 over with 7 of the 8 cylinders. The other one still didnt fully clean up. They wanted to sleeve the remaining cylinder and bore to .030 to match the others.

Since pistons are available in either .030, .040, and .060, I asked them to go .040 over in an attempt to get the remaining cylinder wall clean. A couple days later they called me to tell me that .040 wasnt quite enough.

I told them I wanted the weekend to think it over...

My options:
1. bring them another block with the hopes of honing it or boring it .030
2. sleeve the one cylinder (which I AM NOT a fan of)
3. telling them to go .060 (potential overheating issues????)

Please lemme hear what your thoughts are....I need to let them know something by Tuesday or Wednesday...

thanks,
brian

IMHO I think I would find a better block. I'm not a fan of having one cylinder a different bore than the others. And I too am not a fan of the sleeve either. Just my .02

I have no opinion either way about the sleeve.. but if you need another block I have one in my garage.. I had a friend check it and he said it was barely out of round. If you want to come by and pick it up and have it checked your more then welcome to it. If it checks out good get me $50 if its bad Ill get it back from ya and you can get your other one sleeved. The only quirk to it is Ill only be home after 8 tonight.. tomorrow I work the FD. Its in my other frame with the Transmission still hooked to it so it will take a little bit of time to pull it out. I Can try to get a few hours off tomorrow morning and pull it and leave it in front of my shop for you to pick up when ever you can. Call or text me.. Im working the hospital today so a text would be easier but Ill return your call as soon as I have time.

@Jimbos76CJ: Thanks Jim.....VERY much

What everyone doesnt know is that Jim sold me a block.......cheap. Now the decision to sleeve my block or NOT to sleeve it, is pretty much decided.

But Jimbo didnt just sell me one. Because of time constrainst with my sons, he knew I didnt have the time to run 45 min down to his home last night to pull it off a Jeep frame.

So what he did was: Sunday night AFTER WORK, at night, and while raining...... HE PULLED IT FOR ME, set it aside, left his hoist attached to it for easy loading, and left tools for me to unbolt the hoist from it.

I kept telling him NOT to do it...... that pulling it was on my time. But later I got a text saying it was finished.

Cant say "thankyou" enough...

brian

No worries Brian. I'm a big fan of jeep karma. I'm sure if you had some thing Inneeded you'd help me out with it. Besides I was gettin tired of looking at it either on the stand of in the frame. Good luck with it, like I said if it doesn't work or needs the same work your block does bring it back to me.. I'll stash it till I'm ready to build my monster..

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom