Need help with Headlight Upgrade

Need help with Headlight Upgrade

dvandebrake

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1995 Toyota T100 (awesome veh.)

1986 jeep cj7 with in-line 6 cyl. 258 5-speed manual trans.
Hi all,

Am currently doing the headlight upgrade, I will attach pics of what I have done so far. From the starter selinoid (red 12 Ga. wire) to the two relay's I plugged into pin #30 as shown in headlight upgrade thread. Now I ran a black wire (ground) from negative battery terminal to pin #85, (??? I have two diagrams of upgrade one says hook into #85 and one says hook into #86???).

Now I need to know how to plug old existing wires into new relays (low and high beam). I'm talking about the headlight switch wires and the floor high beam switch wires (i'm kind of lost, I'm no electrician). So If anyone has done this upgrade and are willing to help it will be apperciated.

Thanks,
Duane

Low beam from the HL switch to pin 86 of low beam relay.

High beam from dimmer on floor to pin 86 of high beam relay.

That is the two wires that used to go to the HL`s now go to pin 86 to trigger the relays.

Oh have another question,

Ok when I turn on headlights and check wires with multi-meter, the white wire shows 12.0 volts (hot). Also hot when I turn them on is the gray wire (shows 12.0 volts). These are the factory wires, do I plug both wires into #86 on relay?

Oh have another question,

Ok when I turn on headlights and check wires with multi-meter, the white wire shows 12.0 volts (hot). Also hot when I turn them on is the gray wire (shows 12.0 volts). These are the factory wires, do I plug both wires into #86 on relay?

Pin 86 needs 12 volts to trigger the relay.

So if your low beam is white........Pin 86 of Low Beam relay
So if your High Beam is Grey........Pin 86 of Hign Beam relay.

Or are you saying you have BOTH white and GREY hot at all times ? If so, then something is amiss with the factory harness,

Hi,

What I'm saying is with just the low beam on both white and gray wires are hot? When I switch on the high beams The gray with blk/stripe is the only wire that is hot, The white and gray wire are no longer hot. So I know the gry w/blk-stripe needs to be connected to #86 on high beam reply (I know that). What puzzles me is the low beam white wire and gray wire are both hot with just the low beams on. Could the second hot wire be for parking lights? So I will need to connect both (white and gray) wires to #86 on low beam reply? What do you think I need to do?

Thanks,

Duane

Hi,

What I'm saying is with just the low beam on both white and gray wires are hot? When I switch on the high beams The gray with blk/stripe is the only wire that is hot, The white and gray wire are no longer hot. So I know the gry w/blk-stripe needs to be connected to #86 on high beam reply (I know that). What puzzles me is the low beam white wire and gray wire are both hot with just the low beams on. Could the second hot wire be for parking lights? So I will need to connect both (white and gray) wires to #86 on low beam reply? What do you think I need to do?

Thanks,

Duane

I think you got it. Either the white or gray is parking and the opposite is low beam.

Can you trace down to the parking light and see which is which ? That would provide your answer.

Hi,

Thanks,

Duane

fzsk4p is right. According to the CJ Wiring Diagam I've got, WHITE is parking lights, GRAY is low beam, and GRAY W/TR (with trace? the black stripe I'd assume) is high beam. WHITE should be hot in both first and second notch of the light switch pull and should stay hot for low and high beam.

Something must be a little off if WHITE goes dead with high beams on.

Everything went great, just hooked up low beam and high beam wires and left the parking lights (white wire) stock. I was over thinking, lights are much brighter.

Thank You

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom