Need Help with idle issues

mycapricess

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 258 5 speed
1994 Chevy Caprice Police Car
1987 Chevrolet Corvette
I picked up an 86 CJ& this past winter for my wife she has always wanted a jeep and if I was going to spend the money I am going to spend it on a good jeep.

It is an 86 CJ7 that i got with 40'000 miles on it. No rust and was in beutiful shape. It is a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a 5 speed. The jeep sat a while so i did the basic things.

Water Pump and thermostat.
Brakes
Plugs wires cap and rotor

The jeep starts right up and runs good but it idles all over the board. Between 400 and 1200 rpm. My wife is learning how to drive stick and this makes it very difficult for her. My cousines are big amc people and thelp told me to unplug all the electronics on the carb and that would help which it did not it goes between 800 and 1200. Any other ideas what i can do? I would love to just rip off all the electronic stuff and put a regular carb on it or put a throttle body on it like the kit i saw on trucks a few years back. Any ideas what i can check?

Thanks in advance for the help my wife will appericate it.

My favorite place to start is looking for vacuum leaks. You may find a new PCV valve will help.:cool:
I would put the electronics back on too, if thats making it run badly you more than likely have another problem. the electronics is just the symptom.:D

I picked up an 86 CJ& this past winter for my wife she has always wanted a jeep and if I was going to spend the money I am going to spend it on a good jeep.

It is an 86 CJ7 that i got with 40'000 miles on it. No rust and was in beutiful shape. It is a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a 5 speed. The jeep sat a while so i did the basic things.

Water Pump and thermostat.
Brakes
Plugs wires cap and rotor

The jeep starts right up and runs good but it idles all over the board. Between 400 and 1200 rpm. My wife is learning how to drive stick and this makes it very difficult for her. My cousines are big amc people and thelp told me to unplug all the electronics on the carb and that would help which it did not it goes between 800 and 1200. Any other ideas what i can do? I would love to just rip off all the electronic stuff and put a regular carb on it or put a throttle body on it like the kit i saw on trucks a few years back. Any ideas what i can check?

Thanks in advance for the help my wife will appericate it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom