coldair

Full Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 in the works,
1996 F350 crew cab with a 5.9 cummins
I need pictures of the idler pulley bracket set up. Thanks in advance

Mine is an 81 CA model, so I believe one of the early ones to get a serpentine belt. No A/C, and the smog pump had been removed, so I wrestled with the idea of using a newer pulley system(mid 90's). I ended up using my stock setup, with the exception of where the smog pump is, I pulled a pulley off of a late 90's Grand Cherokee.

Sorry about the pic being sideways, I'll try and do better next time!

I'll go out and take a couple of better pics so you can see how it came together.

You can also try this out if you haven't seen it- Pulley pics

That is what I needed same setup as my 86 CA model.

Mine is an 81 CA model, so I believe one of the early ones to get a serpentine belt. No A/C, and the smog pump had been removed, so I wrestled with the idea of using a newer pulley system(mid 90's). I ended up using my stock setup, with the exception of where the smog pump is, I pulled a pulley off of a late 90's Grand Cherokee.

I'll go out and take a couple of better pics so you can see how it came together.

I am going to install the Howell FI kit, and would like to remove the air pump, so I really like the pulley that you have added. Is it purely a bolt on fix from a late 90's GC, or are there modifications needed for this to work?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Joe Zeppe

OK, so I looked at your pictures again and realized that you just bolted an idler pulley through the threaded hole in the bracket. :chug: Such an easy, and simple solution.

So I went to the local wrecking yard, and found a pulley off a Ford motor (don't know, nor did I care, but I should have looked) and found it have a nice bearing in it, and it was the only one that would work for what I needed. I came home and I turned down a shaft that would fit the ID of the bearing, and an OD that would support the side of the bearing. I will have to figure out how far to cut it to, so it lines up with the belts.
:chug:

Thanks, I will have to post pictures, but they will not be as clean as yours. What size/length belt did you use? PN?

Thank You,
Joe Zeppe

I think pretty much any grooved pulley will work, I just happened to walk by a GC and noticed it, so that Ford one should work just fine. I also had to machine a collar for it, but it wasn't a very big deal.

I believe it is a 7/16" bolt that is 2.5" long. I also added a 1/4" piece of plate on the face of the bracket for some strength, not sure if it helps, but it does give me a little piece of mind.:dunno:

I'm using washers there now to test out the position of the pulley, so far it's working, but the engine has only been in a couple of days.

I think pretty much any grooved pulley will work, I just happened to walk by a GC and noticed it, so that Ford one should work just fine. I also had to machine a collar for it, but it wasn't a very big deal.

I believe it is a 7/16" bolt that is 2.5" long. I also added a 1/4" piece of plate on the face of the bracket for some strength, not sure if it helps, but it does give me a little piece of mind.:dunno:

I'm using washers there now to test out the position of the pulley, so far it's working, but the engine has only been in a couple of days.

Do you have a PN or length for the belt?

Autozone part#870K6

It's kind of interesting, I went through maybe 10 belts before I found this one. Prices ranged from $14 up to $36, with the $36 one being shorter and the $14 one being longer. :confused:

And I just noticed you were asking about the belt # earlier, not bolt. :eek:

Well, I got mine in tonight
84" belt

Before with smog/air pump:
2012-07-29_17-38-42_579.jpg

Bushing/Standoff/Mount for the ford idler:
2012-07-30_19-14-08_797.jpg
It fits the ID of the Bearing, and has a 1/2" ID for the mounting bolt.

After:
2012-07-30_19-15-25_899.jpg

2012-07-30_19-15-30_939.jpg

2012-07-30_19-15-38_417.jpg

I hope this can help someone that may be in the same boat. I had searched for quite a while before I found Tinman's post. :chug: I like the simplicity of his, but worried about all the forces on the aluminum bracket.

On a Side Note: I went to "Jeep Speed Shop" today and looked at three CJs that they had at their shop waiting for the Howell Kits to show up. This Company is well known for their V8 Conversions. They had an '82, '83, & an '86. They all had different belt routing, and power steering pump locations, than mine, and none of those matched either. :rolleyes:

I hope to get my kit tomorrow and will start the build.

Thanks for the information on this site and the members,
Joe Zeppe :us:

Did you have make the bracket that the pulley is mounted to?

Did you have make the bracket that the pulley is mounted to?

yeah, I had to make the bracket, and the spacer that the idler bearing sits on, and the spacer that clamps within the area that the smog/air pump was.

I got a little impatient and mounted it while the paint was still wet.

I cut it out of a 5/16" x 5" steel bar I had in the garage, then bent it up.

I started with a cardboard template.

Joe Zeppe
:us:

Probably what I should have done, I guess time will tell.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom