New clutch slips

New clutch slips

Big B

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ5, 258 3 speed, stock. Power steering.
Just got the Jeep back from my mechanic, who is very good and honest. I've been taking my vehicles to him for years and he has never failed to fix anything. Of course, the CJ is a different story. He installed a brand new clutch kit with bearings and a new flywheel. Now the Jeep slips a little in first, but badly in second and third. he says he adjusted the linkage 4 times, but to no avail. The pressure is great. Any ideas ? Flywheel was from 4WD.com and clutch was from KOI parts here in KY.

Sounds like the pressure plate/flywheel has oil on it. Or the bolts he installed are to long and the pressure plate isn't flush up against the flywheel. ( I've seen this before clutch feels good but not enough pressure to keep the clutch from slipping )
what is he talking about adjusting the linkage 4 times for? That has nothing to do with how much pressure the pressure plate applys to the clutch. :confused:

Sometimes not having the correct free play in the pedal before it starts to engage will allow the clutch to slip with load on it.

Make sure you have 1" of pedal movement (free play) before you feel any resistance against pushing down on clutch pedal. If not, re adjust the clutch linkage until you do. And see if that helps.

Otherwise I agree with Coldair. You may either have oil / residue on the disc, or bolts are not tightened enough / too long for new parts.

Either way, if it's not the linkage adjustment / free play, I'd be taking it back and respectfully showing the mechanic, and asking him to stand behind his work.

There's obviously something not right somewhere.

If he's adjusted the linkage 4 times, I (don't mean this rudely) do not believe he's very experienced with CJ Clutch linkage systems.

:chug:
~ JR

Sometimes not having the correct free play in the pedal before it starts to engage will allow the clutch to slip with load on it.

Make sure you have 1" of pedal movement (free play) before you feel any resistance against pushing down on clutch pedal. If not, re adjust the clutch linkage until you do. And see if that helps.

Otherwise I agree with Coldair. You may either have oil / residue on the disc, or bolts are not tightened enough / too long for new parts.

Either way, if it's not the linkage adjustment / free play, I'd be taking it back and respectfully showing the mechanic, and asking him to stand behind his work.

There's obviously something not right somewhere.

If he's adjusted the linkage 4 times, I (don't mean this rudely) do not believe he's very experienced with CJ Clutch linkage systems.

:chug:
~ JR

That is true the free play in the clutch if he has it adjusted where the throw out bearing is riding on the fingers of the pressure plate it could release some pressure off the clutch and cause it to slip.

:)I agree with JR
:D:D:D:D

Did he put in a new pressure plate also? I had that problem one time and it turned out to be the pressure plate. The springs were not strong enough. Not saying that's your problem, but if everything is right, it could be.

Thanks for the input everyone. When I get some free time I will try the adjustment myself.

Re: New clutch slips - UPDATE

Can't believe the mechanic missed this jury rig. As I was poking around the linkage, I'm pretty sure I found the problem. The end of the adjustment rod was wallowed out where it fits onto the bell crank so the previous owner welded a nut onto the end of the rod and just looped that around the piece that attaches to the bell crank. I may be using the wrong terminology here, so I apologize in advance. Anyway, the welded nut makes the rod about 1.5 inches longer and impossible to adjust without popping off the bell crank. New linkage has been ordered. I hope that fixes it. Thanks for the help everyone. I will post a pic of this mess soon.

was it a new or rebuilt clutch? the rebuilt pressure plate is reground. I have had rebuilt clutches last a lot shorter time than I would have expected but never had one slip right out of the box. but I think it could happen.

never assume the new parts are really new or even assembled correctly.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom