New guy here with some easy questions

New guy here with some easy questions

Mikes1stcj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 CJ5 A.K.A. FrankenJeep
1980 CJ7
I recently bought a 1980 CJ7 for $600 off Craig's list. It has a new Holly Carb and newer exaust system, and purr's like a kitten. The tub how ever is completly rusted out. The guy I bought it from said he couldnt get it running and was about to scrap it. I got it home put in a few gallons of premium in it and suprised that with a fresh battery and gas it actually runs.

I have just found a late 70's tub at the local wrecking yard for $200 bucks. My Jeep is manual the new tub is atuomatic. Is this a hard swap to convert the tub?

I can turn a wrench and I take pictures of everything I take off so I know where it goes. But actually doing modifacations is my weak point.

Just looking for some actual knowledge from someone who's done it before. I'd rather spend the $200 and modify then spend $450 plus a 6 hour round trip to get the only other tub I have found.

Looking forward to stealing some info from you guys so I can at least sound like I know what I'm doing when some one asks me lol.

The only differnce from yours and the one that you said was a late '70s with an auto would be the cut out in the tub for the shifter. And that may even be the same if not all you would need to do is cut it to match yours. :)

Well I can't say for sure how hard it is. I'm still WAITING for my tub to come back from the paint shop. But, I took a YJ and swapped to a CJ. I went the extra mile and changed the tailgate to drop, the defrost vent to come in the bottom of the windshield, etc. If you are fair with a wrench, it shouldn't be to bad. Take some pictures and post 'em up, the more eyes you have lookin' at it the better.

I just picked up the replacement tub today. There was about 2 inches of dried up mud sitting in the bottom of it. Nothing that 10 minutes at the drive up car wash couldn't fix. I think for $200 bucks I got a pretty good deal. Also I just noticed a lever on the side of the Transmission mound. Being new to Jeeps and with the help of the internet, I'm gonna assume it's for the qudra trac. I can't add pictures at the moment my wireless signal is acting up. I will post when I can

I just picked up the replacement tub today. There was about 2 inches of dried up mud sitting in the bottom of it. Nothing that 10 minutes at the drive up car wash couldn't fix. I think for $200 bucks I got a pretty good deal. Also I just noticed a lever on the side of the Transmission mound. Being new to Jeeps and with the help of the internet, I'm gonna assume it's for the qudra trac. I can't add pictures at the moment my wireless signal is acting up. I will post when I can

Ya, that lever is probably for the low range on a so equipped Q-trac, not all of them have the low range.

Well after buying the tub and finding a frame that I turned down, I picked up a 72 CJ5 Franken Jeep as i been calling it.

It has a 351 Windsor with a T-18 four speed Transmission . Dana 44 front axel off of a chevy and rear axle off of a ford with a Dana 300 Transfer Case .

still trying to figure out how to post pictures with Limited wifi access

So now I'm a little confused.. is the CJ5 another project then? Are you still rebuilding the CJ7 too?

The CJ5 is not a project, its ready to roll. The 7 is up for sale on Craigs list. I think its all just a little beyond what I can do in the short Time I have to get it buttoned up and ready to roll ot before I head back home from my brothers house. I'd have to totally tear the 7 apart and rebuild it on a new frame and I dont have the time or place do do it as I thought I was going to have. If anything I'll try when i get home if I dont sell it and then I have to deal with hoping it will pass smog when I get home.

Kinda bummed but what can i do

So today my dads asked what I'm doing with the tub and my 80 CJ7 . I give him the story and he says "well i'll give you the money you should fix it up.. So I guess the build is back on.

Am I correct in thinking the easiest and fastest way to do a complete swap is to pull off one thing at a time and then put it on the new tub part by part?

The reason I ask is we'll have too many cooks in the kitchen as it has become a family project.

I'm thinking i should throw one of my old DJ5 grills on it?

Also I'm not sure of the tub I bought but the guy said it was 76-79 can anyone tell by the picture what year it is? Mine is an 80 and doesnt have these brace peices I would call them.

It looks like the brace part your referring to is where the male side of the seat belt bolts into. As far as swapping the tubs go just move one thing at a time. There is realy no difference between the 79-86 of CJ tubs with exception of how the roll bars mount. The trickiest part of the swap is the fact you have to remove the steering column before you remove the dash.. The stuff under the dash you may not beable to unbolt from one then rebolt it to the other imediatley because it has to be installed in a certain order. IF that happens take pics, bag and tag every thing and place the bags into a clean seperate box so you dont lose any thing. Its an easy swap.. I can do one in a day as long as all the bolts are not corroded up.

Any clue on how to tell the year of the tub? I have tons of pictures of it but they all look the same to me? I guess the easiest thing would be to run the vin. I bought it from a junk yard hours before it was to be recycled and sent to China, so no paper work came with it.

So far I've got the top back part of my frame cleaned and primered. Hands are no good due to arthritis so after a 2 hour break I decided to hang it up for the night. Hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to knock it out and maybe see if my dad or brother will help.
primerframe.png
primer2.png

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom