Suspension New Leaf Springs For My 85 CJ7.

Suspension New Leaf Springs For My 85 CJ7.

hoods5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ& Laredo
Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace my front and rear leaf springs and I'm going to order them from General Spring. It's an 85 CJ7 stock Laredo and I want to stick with stock. My question is you order them by the number of leaf's. My CJ has 4 leaf's in the front and 6 leaf's in the rear. Does that sound right?

Thats a big difference in the weight capacity and I know it doesn't affect the height and I was wondering if I should go with 5 in the rear to give it a softer ride? It's never taken off road. Thanks for your help. Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

5 leaves for both might be the right combo. It really depends on the leaf spring rates though. Also, OEM fronts are narrower (2") than the rears (2.5"), so the rates on the fronts are likely more.
I would try to contact someone at General and speak with them before you order. To dial you in, they should have questions for you, like what type of driving are you planning to do with the Jeep? Does it have a hard top? Or, does it have a heavy duty front bumper with a winch? Etc.

I seem to recall hearing that there was a model in the 80's that had really soft springs to give it a better on-road ride, not sure if this was the Laredo and/or the Limited (or was it the Unlimited). I don't have access to my files but there is a book out there that lists all the OEM part numbers for everything, I would think it would list the different springs as well - at least that way you could check with General Spring to see if they can make them for you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks