new motor going in

cjnewbie

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7 360 3 speed
IMG00431.jpg

ya sorry about that i was just uploading them now guess i should have read the directions first LOL

Not to worry, that's what us mod guys are here for :chug:

The whole thing's looks nice and clean, is that a factory AMC V8?

yes sir it is a 360 and i am sorry to say it is not as clean as it may look i just wanted to get it up and running to make sure things worked

yes sir it is a 360 and i am sorry to say it is not as clean as it may look i just wanted to get it up and running to make sure things worked

That's cool, what kind of tranny/Transfer Case combo did you put behind it?

it has the three speed and i realy dont know witch t case i assume the stock one that would have came in it i just pulled the diff covers tonight to check gearing and change some diff oil and found a good suprise it has a detriot locker up front and what i assume is the stock posi in the rear with 3:54 gears after the suprise i found in the first motor i was happy to find something good for a change LOL

The three speed is probably a T-150 , and it's either a Dana 20 or Dana 300 Transfer Case . The Dana 20 shift pattern is

4H
2H
N
4L

The 300 shift pattern is exactly the opposite;
4L
N
2H
4H

Nice, a detroit in the front, man that's lucky, guess it does kind of make up for the motor, kind of....

Absolutely the Detroit smiley644.png

I remember looking at your thread about the engine, that doesn't look good at all.

When it comes down to it, they are both strong, and reliable, but the Dana 20 was in production for a longer time, so they are more readily available. Both have the option to be twin sticked, so you can control the front and rear independantly. The 300 came stock with lower gearing and has more aftermarket support for even lower gearing options.

I think it's going to come down to personnal preferance, if you've already got a 20 and don't plan on turning your CJ into a hard core rock crawler, I bet you'll be fine.

Both are strong T-cases but the Dana 300 is usually considered the best Transfer Case Jeep offered. It has a lower range than the Dana 20

it sounds like as long as long as i dont put some stupid engine in front of it my 20 will be fine ? my engine is a stock 360 with the edelbrock intake 425 holley and fenderwell headers and the only other engine mod i plan to do is a cam so im sure it will not make enough power to hurt it LOL i have 33's now and plan on 38's after some sort of lift this summer so will stock axels be my weak link?

I by NO means an expert on this one, but from what I understand, yes you should be fine. Like you said, as long as you don't go hog wild on the engine, the Transfer Case should be the least of your worries, the stock AMC20 rear axle would start to worry me.

In case you haven't read, the simplest way to strenghten the the rear axle is going to be to upgrade to chromoly one piece axle shafts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom