new owner need help

new owner need help

thuddog

Jeeper
Thanks
I have a 1972 CJ7 just got today. It is going to need some work but I need to find out what a small lever located by the driver side floor board could be and if anyone might know how I could get a manual on this jeep??

Well first off, If you have a '72, its a CJ5 not a CJ7 . That will make your parts hunt easier.
Manuals are easy to get, check any book store or barnesandnoble.com or amazon.com or ebay.com.
as for the lever, if its not your Transfer Case shift lever, then you might have to post a picture of it so we can identify it for ya.

yeppers, cj7s were not made in 72, only cj5s and cj6s
I am with little about the lever, any previous owner could have installed just about anything so pictures sure would help and we will promise to guide you where you need to go.

I have a 1972 CJ7 just got today. It is going to need some work but I need to find out what a small lever located by the driver side floor board could be and if anyone might know how I could get a manual on this jeep??
I own a 72 and have FSM. I have uploaded several chapters to our document section already. Anything in particular your looking for? BTW - As the many before me have stated - you have CJ5 - welcome fellow 72 CJ5 owner! :chug: You have the best of the best - but I'm pretty biased... :)

Oh yea? Small lever on the drivers side floor board? That sure wasn't there from the factory... Can you snap a picture?

no it came with a Dana 20 with out a PTO option,
71 was the last of the Dana 18s
however there have been a lot of trannies that could have been swapped in with a PTO, I was going with a PTO but wanted pics first

i told him last night on chat that it could be a PTO didn't that year model come with a dana 18 with PTO capability?
here is a easy way to look at CJs
early cjs, 1971 and earlier
intermediates cjs, 72 to 75
and later cjs, 76 to 86
major changes are in those breaks, it helps when trying to remember stuff as those breaks are the big changes, dropping the D18 was a huge change as the rear axle had to change also. and they also made the front clips 3 inches longer because they changed to AMC strait 6s

here is a easy way to look at CJs
early cjs, 1971 and earlier
intermediates cjs, 72 to 75
and later cjs, 76 to 86
major changes are in those breaks, it helps when trying to remember stuff as those breaks are the big changes, dropping the D18 was a huge change as the rear axle had to change also. and they also made the front clips 3 inches longer because they changed to AMC strait 6s
funny thing is i told him to post here last night that you knew alot about the old jeeps and would be able to help him :D. i figured the little lever beside the drivers seat could only be a pto. but you never know what people have put on jeeps

Maybe a fuel tank transfer switch. I've owning a few older trucks that had an extra fuel tank installed, and the " small lever" was always on the drivers side floorboard. :chug: congrats on your new cj

IIRC the early CJ5s did have 2 tanks, under the seats...MY CJ5 will have 2 tanks (if and when it ever gets running again! :laugh:) I have been saving a pair of fiberglass under seat tanks to install 1 under the drivers seat for extra range.The other will probably go under a trailer project as a reserve.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom