New to CJ and Loosing MY MIND!!!

New to CJ and Loosing MY MIND!!!

LuckyTurk45

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 4.2, T5, MC2150 upgrade, Nutter, Keeping rest all-original.
I wanted to have a 1985 CJ7 , AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l manual T-5 … So finally I got it. Last few months I replaced the valve cover, replaced the stock Carter bbd with MC2150, did nutter bypass while I was working on the carb. I also upgraded the coil, new rotor, new wires and spark plugs. Changed all brakes, new rotors, new drums, new pads, new cylinders, etc. It was working and driving. I wanted to tidy all wires under the dash. PO created a mess there. Suddenly car stop working?? I changed the ignition Module, Ignition switch, replaced the broken key cylinder, new battery, new battery wires?? I do not know what else I can do. It does not fire....!!!:confused:
Any help, ideas will be appreciated :chug:

I wanted to have a 1985 CJ7 , AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l manual T-5 … So finally I got it. Last few months I replaced the valve cover, replaced the stock Carter bbd with MC2150, did nutter bypass while I was working on the carb. I also upgraded the coil, new rotor, new wires and spark plugs. Changed all brakes, new rotors, new drums, new pads, new cylinders, etc. It was working and driving. I wanted to tidy all wires under the dash. PO created a mess there. Suddenly car stop working?? I changed the ignition Module, Ignition switch, replaced the broken key cylinder, new battery, new battery wires?? I do not know what else I can do. It does not fire....!!!:confused:
Any help, ideas will be appreciated :chug:
“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall."

Do you have 12V going to the + side of the coil when the ignition is set to "run"??:cool:

Do you have 12V going to the + side of the coil when the ignition is set to "run"??:cool:
Thanks, I will do that asap in the morning. I just went outside to check but it was to dark and I am beat..... I just removed all dash and dash pad, wheel etc... Replaced the ignition switch which it was a pain in the neck....:) Very tight area and I was trying to bend and fold myself... Not fun for a old-man... :)
Thanks again,
Peace

your preaching to the choir pal.:cool:

Thanks, I will do that asap in the morning. I just went outside to check but it was to dark and I am beat..... I just removed all dash and dash pad, wheel etc... Replaced the ignition switch which it was a pain in the neck....:) Very tight area and I was trying to bend and fold myself... Not fun for a old-man... :)
Thanks again,
Peace

Thanks again,
Peace

Whoooo partner you need to slow down with tearing stuff apart. You need to start with the above suggestion to check for power to the coil and ignition module. then slowly check one system at a time. More then likely you have a cracked or broken wire under the hood that you aggravated when you "tidied" it all up. One thing at a time! these things are like delicate flowers with very shoddy wiring. Theres a good chance that disturbing the rest of the wires will cause other problems to arise.

Why is your ignition switch on the dash? For a CJ of your age it should be on the colum.

Well, my coil has power but not enough? positive getting 7 +/- reading so I must have a issue there? but where?. I changed the ignition switch on the columb..:) :D sorry...:) I just checked even new coil has same readings so it is not my coil. I tried to jump from battery to starter. I do not know if I did correctly but nothing on the starter... Maybe starter problem?
Any ideas where can it be now....:) :notworthy:
Thanks,
Turk

Last edited:
Ok.. Read you first post again.. lets just verify what not working means? Does it crank and not start? does it not crank? if it cranks pull a plug out of the head, and touch the threaded portion of the plug to good ground on the motor.. or run a wire from the negative side of the battery to the plug and see if you get a spark to jump from the electrode to the arm on the plug. IF you get a spark were ignition system is good. If not you need to go through the wiring harness and check each wire individually for a break.. there is also a few "weird" wires that are fusible links so you may have lost one of them. Chek all your grounds also, if you broke a ground or knocked one loose then you will have issues also. any thing else not working right?

Ok Guys, I was a happy man for a few seconds...:mad:
I turned the key and there was a affort to start..:( Than died again.. It is all happening while my battery charger is on and charging the battery. Suddenly battery drained again. Is it battery? (it is new), is it the selenoid which I just changed?, is it the module? something draining the battery..:confused:
Any Ideas? I think I am going to have a Scotch ..... I am lost and confused..
Thanks for the help..:chug:
Peace,
Turk

I ran into the same problem, mine turned out to be chassis ground check that, remove clean replace one thing at a time always works for me
Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Thank you guys, I think the Jeepers are the best. I am almost there to solve the problem. Last night me and CJ (my jeep)were getting nasty till 2AM....:) At the end it started and run about 10 seconds. Moment I depress the clutch it stalled. So problem might be around the alternator area.. Maybe a bad ground? I will keep fighting until win.
Peace,
Turk

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
Winston Churchill

Is it normal? when I test voltage selonoid + to Alternator + and all over the alternator shows 11V? while key is in off position.:confused::mad:
Is it normal?:notworthy:
Thanks,
Peace

To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.
—Abraham Maslow:chug:

oh and mine did the same thing...after trying to crank it over i started testing everything and found out that my body was doing the same thing...mine ended up bieng a bad ground wire...i used my jumper cables to ground my motor from the battery to the alternator bracket and it worked so i replaced the ground cabe...problem fixed

oh and mine did the same thing...after trying to crank it over i started testing everything and found out that my body was doing the same thing...mine ended up bieng a bad ground wire...i used my jumper cables to ground my motor from the battery to the alternator bracket and it worked so i replaced the ground cable...problem fixed

OK.... WTF Now.... Now I replaced 2 month old battery (walmart..:) now my jeep starts but does not shuts off:confused:
I have to loosen battery cables to stop.:mad:
Carburetor is staying open, below the choke of my new MC2150 spring is too soft does not push the flipper back. So maybe that is the problem? It is not idling it is basically running. I did try dozen times it is same. I re-installed new ignition switch still same. I did unplug the new alternator wires which did not shut the engine, while I was re-installing the ignition switch it hit the chassis and spark came out and red wire had some minor burnt (I forget to disconnect the battery.) so couple of fuses were burnt and replaced... What is next? 1 extreme to another.:(
I just want this ends...… Any ideas? Is it dieseling? If it is what is the solution?

Thanks for the help,:notworthy:
Peace:chug:

Did you check the sylenoid? The "s" should have power going to it only when the key is in the start position. The "I" out puts to the coil to give full power when starting...if you fried your sylenoid..it could be putting power to it all the time...which would keep it running after you shut the key off...just an idea

Like Jimbo said, slow down a bit.... You did so much all at once, not really sure where the problem lies.

However, if your Jeep wont shut OFF, I have to ask: did you remove any wiring near the alternator, or shorten any.???? There needs to be resistance on the excite wire at the alternator. In my case I needed a diode on the excite wire (small wire on the two prong plug). It needs to be installed with the band on the diode facing the alternator... It keeps current from flowing "backwards" to the alternator when the key is off.

When the jeep is running, and the key is OFF, unplug the alternator... If it shuts down, that is your problem.

This is assuming that the new ignition switch, coil, alternator, distributor, solenoid, are all wired correctly.

good luck
brian

Thank you for all the input guys. I am going to back track and hopefully problem will be fixed:confused:
Thanks again,
Peace:notworthy:

Moment I depress the clutch it stalled

Look for a dangling or taped up wire, the clutch linkage may be contacting/ cutting into something somewhere.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom