No low idle on '81 with 151

Jawbox

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7 Laredo 4sp w/ the "Iron Duke"
----
Working on slowly restoring it back to mostly Stock
So, I'm a complete noob when it comes to carbs, and I'm hoping someone can set me in the right direction here. I've had my CJ for about two months now. When I first got it, the engine was running smoothly. About two weeks ago though, the engine stopped doing a 'low' idle.

When I start the engine, it begins idling at about 2000rpm. One it'd been running for a couple of minutes I used to be able to tap the gas and it would slow the idle down to about 700-800 rpm. Roughly two weeks ago, it stopped doing that. Now, the same day this started happening, I pulled the starter, and due to throwing out my back I haven't had it running.

Today, I'm recovered, replaced the starter, and again it wouldn't go down to 'low' idle. So far, the only thing I've done is replace most of the rotten vacuum lines because I figured they needed it anyway. There are still a couple lines left to go.

Where should I go next? Any pointers would be appreciated. (I believe the carb, emissions, and distributor are all stock.)

Last edited:
It just sounds like your high idle circuit is stuck, that's all. But I'm not extremely familiar with what carburetor came on the GM 151 .

It just sounds like your high idle circuit is stuck, that's all. But I'm not extremely familiar with what carburetor came on the GM 151 .

It's a Rochester Varijet 2 barrel 2SE... At least that seems like a good starting point.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom