No spare tire?

No spare tire?

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Media
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
What's up lately with Jeepers not running a spare tire? Not just CJ's, but YJ's and TJ's too. I've been seeing them around here more and more. I'm not calling anyone out, especially anyone here on this board. But, I'm just wondering is it a fashion statement or is it the cool new thing and I'm just missing it?

I'm not talking about guys that don't have a spare on the carrier. I'm talking about the guys who have completely removed their spare tire carriers. And it's not just the "pretty" non-offroad street Jeeps either. I'm even seeing guys that seriously offroad their Jeeps that don't even have a spare tire carrier. Seriously, what am I missing here :wtf:?

Have no idea... I will never run without a spare - I wish I could carry two! :)

There are areas of severe tire theft so people remove the whole setup and toss the spare in the back of the jeep. Carry tire plugs and air or rely on cell phones.
With the recent $ crunch theft of spare tires is on the rise. That or more assholes have started needing tires and are to cheap/sorry to buy them.

I dont carry one.

LOL I cant afford one, and since my Jeep is used mostly for racing, its extra weight I dont need

My CJ5 doesnt have a tire carrier. I only carry one when I wheel it since I have to take out the rear seat. I have two tiedown points on the floor that I ratchet strap my spare and hilift with. ( And the red Jeep pictured is a CJ7 ;) ). If bumpers with rear tire carriers werent so :censored: expensive Id have one already.

The spare on my Scrambler is mounted to the rollbar and the mount is missing. I just havent gotten around to getting one. The CJ7 has the stock tire carrier and a spare. I wouldnt even try and wheel without a spare. Both of the Off-road parks here in Pa. require you carry a full size spare.

You usually have that Durango following you... :)

Very true...Or at least she tries to follow me! :laugh:

Very true...Or at least she tries to follow me! :laugh:
You race? mud boggs?

I'm most likely gonna try to fab up a better tire carrier, when i learn how to basic weld with wire feed. I plan on buying a tube bender and tube nothcher so i can build my own bumpers. I dont see spending 300+ dollars on a bumper that i can build by bending my own 2.5 inch thick tubing and if i feel daring ill build my front bumper so it can carry a tire along with having the stock rear :D oh ya i can build my own flat fenders to ;) those are simple

This sounds like a new religious cult based entirely on faith.
and I doubt it has any affiliation with Our Lady Of benevolent acceleration,:laugh:
The spare I carry is old and ugly and not worth the effort to remove it.
10X on thieves of any sort, tire and otherwise.:pissed:

When I bought my Jeep, the PO had put a humongous padlock on the latch for the swing-out. Maybe he thought they wanted his tail gate, cause it sure wasn't protecting the spare.

I don't carry one eather. Including this last one (brand new, with a new alloy wheel) I have prolly had 6-7 spares stolen over the years. Not to mention a good 20 or so radios. So, I quit doing it. I have AAA, and usually carry a plug kit and a can of fix a flat, but no more donating 300$ tires to some POS that would most likely get the business end of a .45 shoved in his neck If I caught him.

The club I am in requires you carry a full size spare on trail rides.
I live away from the city so a flat on the road could mean walking for a ways till I found cell service or get a ride.
Yea I carry a spare.

i took mine off for a different reason. i got tired of hitting my dam head on it :mad: while working on the jeep.

You race? mud boggs?

I'm most likely gonna try to fab up a better tire carrier, when i learn how to basic weld with wire feed. I plan on buying a tube bender and tube nothcher so i can build my own bumpers. I dont see spending 300+ dollars on a bumper that i can build by bending my own 2.5 inch thick tubing and if i feel daring ill build my front bumper so it can carry a tire along with having the stock rear :D oh ya i can build my own flat fenders to ;) those are simple

Yea I've been known to play in the mud a little....
160671531-L.jpg

where do you find competitive mud in SE Okyhoma:dunno:

Ive seen the picture trust me :D whats your set up for mud boggs? i really want to have my jeep be able to do both lol but i dont think thats possible :confused:

360 AMC stock 3 speed Transmission 2 speed TC, stock diffs (welded rear) Whats to tell? It works.
And with the Superlift suspension system, it has a bit of flex also...
thPICT1659.jpg

where do you find competitive mud in SE Okyhoma:dunno:
There isn't a lot of it, but there are a few tracks around here. That first pic is from running a track in Wa state.

I would like to have one the jjep I just got dident have one on there but I would like to find a way to rigg somthin up. I'v seen them on the side but that dosent look good and the weight dosent look like its distributed right so I will find a way:confused:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom