Non catalyst sticker?

Non catalyst sticker?

tvince

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7
Does anybody know where the NON-CATALYST sticker/decal is supposed io go on a 78 CJ7

I have always thought that 1977 was the last year to be sold with out a cat. That sounds like a double negative. why would you need to put a sticker on a vehical saying it does not have an option that was not offered?:cool:

There are two of them. One is in the enigine bay on the passenger side on the radiator support right behind the grill. The other one is on the dash, under the clock.

At least that's where my CATALYST stickers were on my '78 CJ7 :D

There are two of them. One is in the enigine bay on the passenger side on the radiator support right behind the grill. The other one is on the dash, under the clock.

At least that's where my CATALYST stickers were on my '78 CJ7 :D

Thank you Elwood that was starting to shake my confidence in what little memory I have left.:cool:

Well its all very confusing / non conclusive to me thru research but an exauhst guy wanted to see a sticker( i have niether cat or non cat) to extend my exhaust without a cat and Collins Brothers sells replacement non cat stickers for cj's 76 thru 79
So not sure how else to tell if I need or dont need one?

Do you have to pass emissions testing??? I don't understand, it's 30+ years old, in most states (the obvious exception being Kalifornia) emissions are not required after a vehicle is over 30.

What kind of exhaust work are you doing?

Na no emissions and simply put I could fix it myself or probobly take it somewhere else this guy just said he wont work on it unless when it leaves his shop it has factory exhaust....I think hes just tryin to sell me a cat muff and tailpipie. Hell I already got headers etc(not factory) on it I just wanted to see what it would be to have them bend some pipe for over my axle. Inspection (safety) requires the exaust to exit out from under vehicle its turned down right before rear axle now
Just thought I understood that this year 78 didnt require it.

Well its all very confusing / non conclusive to me thru research but an exauhst guy wanted to see a sticker( i have niether cat or non cat) to extend my exhaust without a cat and Collins Brothers sells replacement non cat stickers for cj's 76 thru 79
So not sure how else to tell if I need or dont need one?

Elwood has a good point about the age of your jeep.
I am thinking that Collins bros. are selling a sticker for entertainment value. I say buy two, put them in the places Ellwood mentioned and take it to your muffler guy who may perhaps not be the sharpest tool in the shed?
If your muffler guy is also your brother, brother in law or best friend, please accept my sincerest apologies.:cool:

Na no emissions and simply put I could fix it myself or probobly take it somewhere else this guy just said he wont work on it unless when it leaves his shop it has factory exhaust....I think hes just tryin to sell me a cat muff and tailpipie. Hell I already got headers etc(not factory) on it I just wanted to see what it would be to have them bend some pipe for over my axle. Inspection (safety) requires the exaust to exit out from under vehicle its turned down right before rear axle now
Just thought I understood that this year 78 didnt require it.

Yeah, that guy's just blowing smoke up your "tailpipe".

If you're just looking for the tailpipe piece, you could always go to NAPA. When I redid my exhuast, I bought the headpipe (the long one built specifically for CJ7 's w/out a cat) and a tailpipe. For just regular aluminized stuff it wasn't expensive either, if I remember it was less than $50 for both pieces. Just food for thought

When I go to the muffler shop I tell them I am registered in another county, which I am. The important thing is they never question it. Was this some place like Midas?? Those clowns tried to convince me that the casting line on the exhaust manifold was a crack and they would only "consent" to work on it if they replaced the manifold. I just wanted to have the donut gasket replaced.:cool:

Thanks guys I got one sticker I'll put in engine compartment WTH, extend the exhaust myself, forget the :censored: muffler guy and be done with it.

Thanks guys I got one sticker I'll put in engine compartment WTH, extend the exhaust myself, forget the :censored: muffler guy and be done with it.

Sound wisdom.:cool:

Elwood hit the nail on the head... NAPA! They have a lot of parts of a CJ!
Depending on which State your CJ was first sold should determine if you have a cat or not. My 79 CJ7 was a California Jeep. It came to Texas and lost the Air Pump and piping. Thanks to Elwood I found the missing parts on this sites classified ads. Seems to me the VIN should list what came on our Jeeps.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom