Not correct, but i own it!

Not correct, but i own it!

judge

Jeeper
Thanks
Bought my first Jeep (CJ2a) in 1961 --bought my second a few days ago. It is a 83 CJ7.but it has a 3 speed tranny and a 258??? with a steel valve cover, short dip stick, V belts, and the stamping on the block near the dist is " 112 122". The third"'1" is raised above the other numbers and could be an "I"? Runs great and I'm a happy owner, but wondering what engine is in it. I don't think the 3 speed is correct, is it? thanks

I may have answered my own question. I got good light on the engine serial number and with some chalk rubbed in, discovered that the engine serial number is 112 A 22 --I originally thought the A was a crooked 1. So this corrected number translates to: 22 Dec of ?? I figure the first 1, which is for the year is 1977 or1978. The "A" indicates a 258 with a single barrel carb and 8.0 cr. The carb does a;ppeasr to be a single barrel -and it does NOT have the electric "Motor" on the side. And i guesss the 3 speed is not correct as well. Whatever, I like the Jeep.

My '81 CJ5 came with a 258, single barrel and a three speed. Not a bad combination and they were stock in those years. I changed out the 3 speed for a 4 speed T18 and couldn't be happier with the rig. There's a million and one things you can do to them as you know to make it more you but you have a good base to start with. I would say use it and make changes if you think it's necessary.

Tommy

Yes decode thru the VIN (on the firewall) to find out how it left the factory.

I did the VIN check and my CJ came from Toledo with a 258 2b carb, 3750 gvw, and and a 5 speed tranny. More research on the engine presently in the Jeep indicates to me (with 99% certainty) that it is a 1977 258, 1b carb engine --an "A" engine. The tranny, as I noted before, is a 3 speed. So, things have been switched about --no real surprise. It is a very clean, essentially rust free example, with just a very few faults --the biggest at the moment being a leaking PS steering box. I'll fix that this winter. The CJ will have an easy life with me! Thanks all for your help.

Sounds like a winner!:chug:
Your gona make some changes to suit so a solid base is good.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$110.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks