Oil Black 10 minutes after oil change

Oil Black 10 minutes after oil change
Thanks
I just changed the oil in my CJ5 (Buick Dauntless Buick 225 V6 V6), and after running the engine for several minutes to warm it back up to check the proper level, I had to drain a little out since I overfilled it. It was black, just like it needed to be changed again.

Is this normal, and should I just use that oil to flush it out and put in another 5 quarts? Is the filter (I put a new one on when I changed the oil) in need of a change too?

Some engines have more dirt inside them and some engines have more pockets of old oil sitting in them. It doesn't mean you have a problem. Just keep track of you oil changes and use time or miles to determine your next oil change.

That's not abnormal, especially after having run the engine for a while right after the oil change. Your new oil will have good viscosity and the filter will do it's job, it just means the block is a bit dirty combined with the fact you cant get all the old oil out on a change.

The only other thing I can think of is changing from a non detergent oil to a high detergent oil.

Tommy

the answer is yes, change the filter with the oil. In fact I know some people that change the filter exclusively and just add to the oil. I just change both at the same time between 3 and 5 k miles.:D

Is this normal, and should I just use that oil to flush it out and put in another 5 quarts? Is the filter (I put a new one on when I changed the oil) in need of a change too?

If you don't change the filter when changing the oil, you will have a pint to quart of dirty oil mixing with the new. Of course it will be dark.

The only other thing I can think of is changing from a non detergent oil to a high detergent oil.

Tommy
The only other thing you can try is to run some Sea Foam though it to help clean all the junk out of the motor. How long has it been sitting or was it driven alot recently. Some times slug can settle into the bottom of the oil pan and in the block if let set for some time. I don't know how everybody else thinks about Sea Foam but I've had good luck with it. Though the crankcase and though the gas tank.:):chug:

Breaking loose old sludge all at once can be harmful to your engine. I don't know anything about seafoam but I just spent last saturday pulling my brother's oil pan and cleaning out his clogged pick-up tube. It was on a F150, 4.6 V8, 4x4. That stuff will be sucked up by your oil pump and pushed into the oil galleys.

Breaking loose old sludge all at once can be harmful to your engine. I don't know anything about seafoam but I just spent last saturday pulling my brother's oil pan and cleaning out his clogged pick-up tube. It was on a F150, 4.6 V8, 4x4. That stuff will be sucked up by your oil pump and pushed into the oil galleys.

I agree if there is a lot of sludge build up you don't want it to all breakup at once.
I would just change the oil and filter every 1000 miles for a while and see if that helps.
IMO Shell Rotella is a good high detergent oil that will help clean it out.
You may have to take it apart and scrape it out like they did that ford.:(

I agree with 2 points here and will tell you how to cure the problem
go get 4 quarts of cheap oil and sea foam
get 6 quarts of good oil
get 3 filters

drain the oil,change the filter put in 4 quarts of oil and the sea foam, run it around the block for 30 minutes, park it and drain the oil. the sea foam will have done its job. Drain the oil and change the filter and run it around the block for 30 minutes, change the filter and put the last quart of good oil in.

now you have FLUSHED the system and should get a nice oil color after that, if not you need to decide if doing it again is worth it or that you need to dismantle and rebuild.

fortunately you have the best engine Jeep ever used. and it is worth the rebuild if needed, and if you decide to sell that engine, guys will come out of the woods to pound on your door for it,that is an extremely popular engine. with AMC 150 hp and 185 pounds of torque in such a small package, a 50 pound flywheel to help with the torque, light weight v6 config that engine is what jeepers dream of

Last edited:

Tommy

I didn't think anyone used non-detergent oil these days.
The company I work for used to sell it but since no one was buying it they gave me the last 3 case of ND30 for free. I use it (liberally) in my home machine shop.

:drool:
I agree with 2 points here and will tell you how to cure the problem
go get 4 quarts of cheap oil and sea foam
get 6 quarts of good oil
get 3 filters

drain the oil,change the filter put in 4 quarts of oil and the sea foam, run it around the block for 30 minutes, park it and drain the oil. the sea foam will have done its job. Drain the oil and change the filter and run it around the block for 30 minutes, change the filter and put the last quart of good oil in.

now you have FLUSHED the system and should get a nice oil color after that, if not you need to decide if doing it again is worth it or that you need to dismantle and rebuild.

fortunately you have the best engine Jeep ever used. and it is worth the rebuild if needed, and if you decide to sell that engine, guys will come out of the woods to pound on your door for it,that is an extremely popular engine. with AMC 150 hp and 185 pounds of torque in such a small package, a 50 pound flywheel to help with the torque, light weight v6 config that engine is what jeepers dream of
You bet let me put my hat in the ring first for that Dauntless Buick 225 V6 if you ever decide to get rid of it or change motors in the future keep me in mind!!!!!:D I would like to put it in my 86cj7 just to be different!!!!!:drool:

I see a bidding war coming on
but seriously why would he sell it, i it is stock to that jeep then he has a short nosed jeep and could not fit a V8 or a strait 6 in with out major problems
the reason they chose a v6 was room issues, they made the nose longer in 72 to fit v8s and strait 6s

In the original post, he said he changed the oil and the filter. It's not normal for it to turn black in 10 minutes of running so something must have changed. Non detergent oil is still available, although not readily. It could be from going from a heavy oil, 50w, to a 5w-30 weight also. If it were me, I would drive it for a couple of weeks or a few hunderd miles and then change the oil and filter again. If you loosened up some sludge you may as well let the filter catch it and get it all. I wouldn't change the oil and filter before it has a chance to clean itself out. Just a thought.

Tommy

Thanks for all the info guys. JUST TO CLARIFY, though, I did change my filter, I was just unsure if I needed ANOTHER filter since it came out like this. I love this engine and it only has 52k miles so I really want to baby it. Sea foam...anyone have any bad experiences?

Thanks Baja. I will have to remember that one. Heard of it but never tried it.

Tommy

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom