Oil Dipstick Tube...need advise please

BamaCJ

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
304 with 3 spd.
Still learning everything about her. I know she has 35x15's on her.
Original Paint. Slowly working on the little things.
And a '99 Chevy Silverado..with 315k miles on it. :)
I am sure that this problem has popped up on the threads, but I couldn't find it, so I am asking for help.

Is it possible to tighten or replace the Oil Dipstick Tube? Mine almost comes off every time that I check the oil. (which is very frequent, as I have had her a week and it is the original motor). The Good News is that she isn't losing any oil, but I do not want to chance it.

oh, its a AMC 304 in a '79. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have forgotten more than I ever knew about motors and the husband is working out of state. ;)

Thank you in advance.

Black RTV silicone on the part that goes into the block just dont put to much on the tube.

It is actually hammered in to the block - it can be a pain in the butt because it is a slip fit. Some times it just slides in and other times you have to pound it in...

You have to press it into the block. They can be a pain in the butt I messed one up when I did my motor.

Replacing a dipstick tube can be a real pain in the you know where... Last time I did one I put the new one in the freezer overnight before installing it. Freezing the tube causes the metal to contract, when you remove it from the freezer you have very little time before it starts to warm up and expand. Move quickly and use a deadblow hammer to tap it in to place.

I have read of people bending or messing up the tube, but wasn't sure of the logistics in it actually going in. The site that CJ told me about has it for the AMC motor, which maybe will be a little better fit...my luck it wont, but one can be hopeful, right?

I am so glad that I found this forum. Ya'll will get tired of my questions before long. ;)

LMAO! You can see how much fun we all have had replacing the dipstick tube!

LMAO! You can see how much fun we all have had replacing the dipstick tube!

FUN....oh yes....I can see that. :laugh:

I am so glad that I found this forum. Ya'll will get tired of my questions before long. ;)
Thats the great thing about this fourm everybody is willing to try and help each other and will never get tired of your questions. :)

I read some were that if you slip a box end wrench that fits down the tube to the bulge and hit the wrench with a hammer it will help from bending the top section. I tried it and it does work. I replaced mine a couple years ago. I ruined one that didn't quit fit . Bulltear's are the way to go.

I read some were that if you slip a box end wrench that fits down the tube to the bulge and hit the wrench with a hammer it will help from bending the top section. I tried it and it does work. I replaced mine a couple years ago. I ruined one that didn't quit fit . Bulltear's are the way to go.

This may be "tip of the day", simple but a great idea!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom