Oil Leaks R Us

Oil Leaks R Us

JMark

Jeeper
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ-7, 258, Sniper EFI, AX15, Dana 300 HD Outputs Twin Stick 4:1, York OBA, D60, D44 Locked F&R
Well, after sealing up my valve cover recently im still getting alot of oil leakage, thought it might have been the dipstick tube, but that isnt the source.

Entire passenger side of the block is covered in oil below the head but its not leaking from the valve cover. seems to get worse toward the rear of the motor.
Entire undercarriage is covered in oil going back, at least its keeping the rust off my frame!

PCV is recently replaced and functioning properly.

Parked the jeep for about 2 weeks while i began to pull the dash and found NO oil on the dipstick when i checked it and a HUGE puddle on the floor.

Here's what im thinking at this point:
1. rear main seal??
2. oil pan gasket?

should i also swap the pan? I'm going to pop the oil drain plug and see if there's anything below the dipstick at this point.

Last edited:
Distributor gasket was my problem on that side. I had put a short block in and didn't put one on the dizzy. Something to check.

The rear main seal can be a problem area. In replacing that seal you will also be removing the oil pan and should replace that seal.
I'm not saying that's were your problem is. You need to figure that out. Clean off your engine good and then look for the fresh oil. If it's the rear seal then it would be coming out of the clutch area not the side of the engine.
:chug:
should i also swap the pan?
No, unless it somehow got dented it shouldn't be the issue.

I'm going to put UV dye in the oil and swap the distributor gasket out first and see what that does for me.
I have a rear main on hand so if that's the culprit i'll do it.

For me it was the distributor as well, give that a look. I thought it was from the oil filter by the starting position of the leak at first. Give the motor a good wipe-down and see where it appears. Just rev it in the driveway to see if it will appear without being blown around everywhere like it does while driving.

found em

UV dye and a blacklight is wonderful stuff.

1. Ive got a nice seepage coming from around the dipstick
2. its FLOWING out from under the distributor and the fan is just causing it to atomize and move back
3. slight seepage around the timing cover?

Pics to follow once i grab my memory card.

found em

UV dye and a blacklight is wonderful stuff.

1. Ive got a nice seepage coming from around the dipstick
2. its FLOWING out from under the distributor and the fan is just causing it to atomize and move back
3. slight seepage around the timing cover?

Pics to follow once i grab my memory card.

I had the same problem and it was a bear to find but the 2' X 3' drip pan from wally world helped find it. The UV dye might show me too much :D

Here's were its coming from under the distributor:

... And heres where its coming from the oil dipstick you can see the ring around the base... im thinking grey rtv to fix that perhaps?

Last edited:
Swapped the distributor out, that solved the issue with the main oil leak, now just to address the seepage in a few other spots.

SO, where do you get this UV dye?

Not necessarily a response to this particular problem, but looking for a thread to add to that pertains to oil leaks should someone search for answers to their problem...

I have had leaks for awhile and just didn't put the effort into finding the source. They ended up being as follows:

Distributor gasket
Oil plug gasket
Transfer Case front seal
Transmission Rear seal

All together, $30 worth of parts and shipping costs and very doable by anyone.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom