Old Dog Over Heating (thread split)

Old Dog Over Heating (thread split)

LongHorn

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83'CJ-8 Scrambler Slightly Modified;),48'CJ2A, 54'CJ3B 67'Jeep M-725, 88'YJeep Wrangler Slightly Modified;)
My 401 ran hot when I dropped her in, but the aluminum cross flow radiator fixed it right up & I'm not running electric fans or even fan shroud.:cool:

Old Dog,
It's really seems strange that incline angle effects the change in temp any different than just load of any other kind.
It would seem that something is moving to close off coolant flow or restrict air flow.
Are you running a clutch fan?

Re: over heating

Sorry about the high jack Fishnchips.

Longhorn, heres what I've got to through the years.
High flow water pump and thermastat (195 semed to work better than a 180 ) Alum. rad. that should suport 500 hp. so it should be pleanty big. an electric fan that pulls 2400 cfm. with a full rad. shroud. The top of the rad. sits a couple inches higher than the engine. I've played with the timing and the curve, oh yea and hood louvers .
I do run a winch but that shouldn't be much of a factor doing 3 mph up rocky inclines.:D
It is better now than at first, I"m now olny about 250 when we get to the top of Jellico Mt.. In the past I've had to stop 3/4 of the way up so it could cool off to 250.:eek:

High flow water pump and thermastat (195 semed to work better than a 180 ) Alum. rad. that should suport 500 hp. so it should be pleanty big. an electric fan that pulls 2400 cfm. with a full rad. shroud. The top of the rad. sits a couple inches higher than the engine. I've played with the timing and the curve, oh yea and hood louvers .
I do run a winch but that shouldn't be much of a factor doing 3 mph up rocky inclines.:D
It is better now than at first, I"m now olny about 250 when we get to the top of Jellico Mt.. In the past I've had to stop 3/4 of the way up so it could cool off to 250.:eek:

Does running the heater help?

I bought an high performance aluminum radiator from "Absolute Radiator"
800-536-4242 for $338.00
I was going for price as I had never heard of them, but it is a great product & cured my over heating issues even before I got around the bending up a shroud.
Here at my place the temp is regularly in the 100's in the late summer.
Granter no mountains either, but you would figure increasing altitude would just make you run richer which would be cooler not hotter.

My 401 ran hot when I dropped her in, but the aluminum cross flow radiator fixed it right up & I'm not running electric fans or even fan shroud.:cool:

Old Dog,
It's really seems strange that incline angle effects the change in temp any different than just load of any other kind.
It would seem that something is moving to close off coolant flow or restrict air flow.
Are you running a clutch fan?

The thing that has made the most difference so far is the full rad. shroud.
maybe that says air flow :confused:

The thing that has made the most difference so far is the full rad. shroud.
maybe that says air flow :confused:

The shroud should only help improve air flow across the radiator fins, without the shroud you bleed airflow same principle as wing fences on aircraft to channel the flow where you want it to go.

That's why I was surprised when mine ran fine without one.
I figured I'd have to fab one up for sure.
I'm just running a all metal flex fan on a 3" spacer.

Did you have any luck with the louvers? I bought some stamped metal from the big box store, going to cut large hole in the center back of the hood and one down each side just under the curve. tried wraping the header, no change, but will cool down when I open the hood.

Ronnie

Ron, The louvers didn't really seem to help with the engine temp.
you can SEE heat coming out of them though.
I think it's strange that we both have heating problems going up
inclines in the 2000 rpm range.
And we don't even have the same motor.:D
Theres a couple other 350's in my 4x4 club, they run the same trail and most stay normal, ther is one that heat's up but not as badly as mine.:(
I was hoping someone would come up with an answer for you that I haven't tryed yet.

not real sure how to go about it but have you checked the guage?? :D

not real sure how to go about it but have you checked the guage?? :D

Nope, but it runs 190-200 down the road,.. and on level trails too.:D
I've got it to where I can "live" with it most of the time.
But it sure would be nice to not have the problem.

Is your sending unit in the same place as all the others you spoke of??:cool:

Is your sending unit in the same place as all the others you spoke of??:cool:

Yea, the small block chevys are in the pass. side head.

I took the plunge, I cut a 9"x13" hole in the top of my hood just behind the windshield tiedown today. Ran it for about 15 min. at 2000rpm. setting in the shop, temp got to 220 before I let it go back to idle. With the hole the temp droped off faster than before.
I will know more after this weekend, we are headed to Mason Tx. to katemcy rocks 2.

Ronnie

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom