Opinions on Aussie Lockers?

Opinions on Aussie Lockers?

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
Who has an Aussie Locker and how do they compare to the other brands? For only $249, it sounds like a real bargain!

Like most of the drop-ins they are a little more harsh than a full case locker or even the caddy of the drop-in's the PowerTrax No-slip. They have a great rep in most apps and it was really worth my money in a Dana 44 in a FSJ. However they have a much worse record in the 8.25 Chrysler app. I blew out one and know several people who have done so. I have no experience or recommendation for a AMC20 APP. But once you experience a locker off road you will never go back to an open diff...:) The new Spartan is getting a lot of positve reviws if it is available for your app.

Like most of the drop-ins they are a little more harsh than a full case locker or even the caddy of the drop-in's the PowerTrax No-slip. They have a great rep in most apps and it was really worth my money in a Dana 44 in a FSJ. However they have a much worse record in the 8.25 Chrysler app. I blew out one and know several people who have done so. I have no experience or recommendation for a AMC20 APP. But once you experience a locker off road you will never go back to an open diff...:) The new Spartan is getting a lot of positve reviws if it is available for your app.
Thanks. I'm not thinking of putting one in the AMC20 rear at this time. I'm thinking of doing the Dana 30 front. :)

They have a long and respected history in a Dana 30 front as long as you can live with the quirks of a locked front. Not that big of deal especially with lock-out hubs. The Spartan includes a new cross shaft that the others do not. IIRC This is a recommending item when doing these lockers and from experience the first question they will ask if you locker fails under warranty is if you replaced the shaft or not.

Head-To-Head Lunchboxes Drop In Locker Shootout - Jp Magazine

A good quick read and the various drop-in lockers

Last edited:
I just put the Spartan in the Dana 30 . Have not used it yet. Putting it in the carrier was a snap. I did have to remove the carrier from the axle.:cool:

They have a long and respected history in a Dana 30 front as long as you can live with the quirks of a locked front. Not that big of deal especially with lock-out hubs. The Spartan includes a new cross shaft that the others do not. IIRC This is a recommending item when doing these lockers and from experience the first question they will ask if you locker fails under warranty is if you replaced the shaft or not.

Head-To-Head Lunchboxes Drop In Locker Shootout - Jp Magazine

A good quick read and the various drop-in lockers
Thanks! The whole reason I'm thinking of doing the front is so it'll only be used off road and on snow days. I haven't decided yet whether to beef up my AMC20 with solid axles and a truss, or to swap to a stronger axle, so I don't want to spend the money on a locker for it just yet.

Last edited:
I just put the Spartan in the Dana 30 . Have not used it yet. Putting it in the carrier was a snap. I did have to remove the carrier from the axle.:cool:
Yeah, I read your whole thread. That's what got me thinking about it again. :)

From what I gather, having to remove tha carrier all depends on what gear ratio you have. Lower ratios have a thinner ring gear, which might leave enough room to remove the spider gear shaft without taking the carrier out of the housing to remove the ring gear. I'm not sure how that applies to my 3.54 ration which is kind of down the middle.

I have the Aussie in the front and hate it/love it. I'm sure most are like WTF? LOL, the issue is when I go wheeling I never get stuck anymore. I am running a stock rear AMC20 with the 4 banger. She just pulls right thru everything. Sometimes I would like a little play if you know what I mean. However, it's never left me stranded. I have just trussed my AMC20 and I am now looking for what axles and gears to get. I'm running 35's and looking @ 4:56 gears.

I plan to run a spool when I do my upgrade. Here is my reason. Some will say I'm nuts but I beg to differ. With a spool it's always engage and you can learn how to drive it like that. I'm the only driver of my jeep and always will be. With any auto locker that spells dangerous to me. It will lock up anytime it feels one wheel slipping like in a turn. That on raining or sleet day and you see where this is going.

So I say either spool or air locker. I don't want to spend about a 1000 bucks for an air system that could kink or break when I need it. I don't plan to take swim shorts to try and find the broken line or such when I"m in a mud or water hole and need rear locks. The spool is there and no BS about it.

That's just my .2 on the front and rear. The only down side of the Aussie is they always seem to be on back order. Either way good luck...

Oh, and I have 3:54's now. The carrier will need to come out...

I have the Aussie in the front and hate it/love it. I'm sure most are like WTF? LOL, the issue is when I go wheeling I never get stuck anymore. I am running a stock rear AMC20 with the 4 banger. She just pulls right thru everything. Sometimes I would like a little play if you know what I mean. However, it's never left me stranded. I have just trussed my AMC20 and I am now looking for what axles and gears to get. I'm running 35's and looking @ 4:56 gears.

I plan to run a spool when I do my upgrade. Here is my reason. Some will say I'm nuts but I beg to differ. With a spool it's always engage and you can learn how to drive it like that. I'm the only driver of my jeep and always will be. With any auto locker that spells dangerous to me. It will lock up anytime it feels one wheel slipping like in a turn. That on raining or sleet day and you see where this is going.

So I say either spool or air locker. I don't want to spend about a 1000 bucks for an air system that could kink or break when I need it. I don't plan to take swim shorts to try and find the broken line or such when I"m in a mud or water hole and need rear locks. The spool is there and no BS about it.

That's just my .2 on the front and rear. The only down side of the Aussie is they always seem to be on back order. Either way good luck...
I thought about a spool in the front, or maybe just welding the spider gears, but I want the option to drive in 4 wheel on the highway in snow without them totally binding when I turn. It also helps that with a lunchbox locker, I won't have to get the gears aligned like I would with a spool. Guess I'll just have to get use to the quirks. I'm more interested in how they hold up, and how the noise compares to other lunchbox lockers. I plan to go with a posi in the rear because I drive a lot of highway miles and don't want the clicking and popping when in 2wd.

Did you make your own truss or buy one pre-made and get it welded?

Got any pics of the truss?

I wouldn't run a spool or weld the front either. PITA to steer. I have the Aussie up front and plan to install the spool in the rear.

As for the truss, I had a buddy of mine weld it for me. He also welded the tubes.

Here are the pictures. Don't mean to brag but I am. I think it's great. He assures me it's stronger then a 44 well @ least it will be once I re-gear and replace the axles...

NewJeepBumper3-12-12040.jpg

NewJeepBumper3-12-12039.jpg

NewJeepBumper3-12-12045.jpg

NewJeepBumper3-12-12043.jpg

He also installed new rear brake lines and ran them on the top of the truss...

A welded or spooled rear on the trail is awesome. On the street it will cause some issues, mainly noticeably increased tire wear.

I have done this in the past and as far as handling characteristics go the plus on a welded/spooled rear is that it is very predictable. Sometimes lockers disengage/re-engage at less than ideal times, especially with a manual tranny, and it can catch you flat footed. The spool is going to act the same every time.

Although I have used a welded/spooled front, it was never engaged on the street and I had lock-outs. Turning can be a challenge with a fully locked front. Having twin sticks to disengage the front axle more easily can help as can hopping out and disengaging one hub when needed. The traction increase is awesome. As my jeep had to remain street-able even at highway speeds I ponied up for lockers front and rear vs. welding or spools this time around. I did not go selectable because my research and personal observation leads me to believe that they are more problematic than an auto locker. Your research and opinion may well vary and that is okley-dokely.

I drive my jeep to work on the other side of town on bad snow days where I want to be able to use my 4wd. I think a spool would be a bit too much for this, but a locker's unpredictability is a draw back too. People have told me lockers aren't bad for this once you get use to them.

I have a twin stick Transfer Case shifter, but when things are bound up a little in 4wd, it can be a pain to shift in and out of 4wd, so that's not really an option with a spool.

If it weren't for the huge price tag of an air locker, I'd go that rout. I'm pretty much settled on the Aussie in the front and a regular posi in the rear.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom