Passing emmisions

Passing emmisions

dunerunner09

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2001 ford f 350 v10
1973 cj5
I have a 1973 CJ5 with a AMC 304 v8. Just bought the jeep and thiought that by its age i would be good to go on emmisons....like in seattle were i just moved from. No such luck for i live in maricopa county in arizona were there is bs emmisions...has no emmisions stuff on the jeep.....any tips on how to pass...any help would be cool.....

register it outside of maricopa county? LOL

In CA. any vehicle must pass smog upon change of ownership. The smog certificate is the sellers responsibility. The smog laws here are by the county, not the state. I register mine in a non smog county and keep my mailing address at my house. It's worked fine for 30 years and a few vehicles but I don't know if Arizona works the same way, ask the DMV.
BTW, I made up an address for where the vehicle resides and asked the gal at the DMV if I could do that. She gave me the form to fill out and said "all we need is an address" I think I almost saw her wink.

My 78 cj AMC 304 passed in Indiana. I have a Holly 4 bbl, headers,dual exhaust with two mini cats. Passed with flying colors.

Never heard of a non smog county in California, at least not after the 60's. It is regulated by the State as far as I know. There is no easy way to make it smog legal. You need to find out what the engine needed to begin with in Arizona that year and put all the smog stuff back on. For the engine to run right, all the smog equipment must be there and working or none of it there like you have now. It is an all or nothing game. Like the man said, you can register it in another county and hope it doesn't catch up with you, or you can abide by the laws where you chose to live.

Tommy

Pretty sure that it a California Law on the SMOG check. I would have much rather had a '75 or earlier so that it would be exempt but ...then again I wanted a CJ7 .
Now as far as passing your emissions test you shouldn't have to many problems with the V-8 if it had the original Federal Emissions :dung:. Very surprised about a '73 needing an emissions test! Yuma, AZ doesn't check!

I just looked at a site that confirms it must be '67 or earlier to not require an emissions test. Sounds like you will need to put the smog stuff back on or register it as a '67. I just up-graded my CJ7 with a Howell EFI kit and they do make one for your engine but it isn't cheap and you will still need a Catalytic Converter if it was original equipment;
Jeep TBI Products :: TBI KIT: 1972-93 304, 360, 401 V-8 Jeep/AMC - Emissions Legal - Howell Engine Developments, Inc.

Absolutely certain that CA smog laws are county, not state. Lake county and parts of Calaveras county for instance are smog exempt. And, it is easy to get around the system, I've been doing it for 30 years. Everyone thinks it's a state thing and just complys with the demand that comes in the mail every two years. The catch: When you sell your vehicle, no matter what year manufactured, it must comply with the emission laws of that county and it's the sellers responsibility to get it smogged (unless it has passed smog within the last two months). But that's it!

Ok so lets clarify, the vehicle must pass a SMOG check when 1st transferred. After that it depends on the county as to the renewal process. This may be changing according to the reports that I read but who knows.
The vehicle still must have all of the SMOG :dung: on it and pass a SMOG test when 1st registered in CA. This info will not help dunerunner09 pass his SMOG test since it is his 1st time registering in that state.
*good info to those who want to modify after 1st registering, if you feel lucky enough.

Last edited:
Ok so lets clarify, the vehicle must pass a SMOG check when 1st transferred. After that it depends on the county as to the renewal process. This may be changing according to the reports that I read but who knows.
The vehicle still must have all of the SMOG :dung: on it and pass a SMOG test when 1st registered in CA. This info will not help dunerunner09 pass his SMOG test since it is his 1st time registering in that state.
*good info to those who want to modify after 1st registering, if you feel lucky enough.
Correct. He must pass smog here to register in CA. He'll have to go to a "test only" shop (because of the age of the vehicle) and pass the visual (all original emmission control devices intact and original model carburetor), pass the treadmill test (yes, they actually put it on a treadmill) with the wand up the tail pipe, pass the pressure test for the fuel tank (better make sure the gasket is good on the gas cap) and they'll check the timing too. They don't make it easy in CA.
After he gets it to pass he should look into registering it in a smog exempt county and not worry about it any more.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom