por15 vs rustoleum?

por15 vs rustoleum?

battleship

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
s10 4 door 4wd ,cj5 parts jeep
I 'm building a CJ5 ground up when it comes time to coat the frame which will have been sandblasted ,I also have axles which I do not intend to have blasted, just plan on cleaning them up as best I can would it be best to use por 15 or just brush on rustoleum? I don't want to get involved w this is painted w this and this is painted w that.

I 'm building a CJ5 ground up when it comes time to coat the frame which will have been sandblasted ,I also have axles which I do not intend to have blasted, just plan on cleaning them up as best I can would it be best to use por 15 or just brush on rustoleum? I don't want to get involved w this is painted w this and this is painted w that.

I really like Rustoleum, but I think I would go with the POR15 on the axles and frame. I think it's just way more durable.

I used Rustoleum on my hardtop and it's awesome for that sort of application.

por 15 beats rustolium by a mile:chug:

I really like Rustoleum, but I think I would go with the POR15 on the axles and frame. I think it's just way more durable.

I used Rustoleum on my hardtop and it's awesome for that sort of application.

lets see some good pics of the hard top painted

I also have to go with POR 15 I have used it in the past and will apply it to my CJ in the very near future

por 15 beats rustolium by a mile:chug:

Ditto. You don't need to sand blast it, but a steel brush on a 4-1/2" grinder works pretty good. Follow the instructions, it's POR-15 first and then Chassis coat.

Same goes for the axles.

Ditto. You don't need to sand blast it, but a steel brush on a 4-1/2" grinder works pretty good. Follow the instructions, it's POR-15 first and then Chassis coat.

Same goes for the axles.

Thanks will consider that, Since I intend on putting alot of labor as well as $$$ into this project I want to get it right the first time. So a frame that is as close to new as I can get it is important.I had seen in another post about using a schutz gun (S.P ?) to do the inside of the frame. What would be the best way to prep to coat the inside?

As long as it's clean you can just spray the por15 inside it.
No real prep needed you can paint over rust as long as the loose chunks are removed.

I use a piece of 1/4" plastic hose with a couple holes drilled in the end with a pipe plug and snake thru the frame to wash it out then use a hair drier or heat gun to blow thru the frame to help dry it out.

A 1/4" hose with a spray nozzle from like a pump sprayer can be used with the pump sprayer filled with paint to help spray the frame insides.

A 1/4" hose with a spray nozzle from like a pump sprayer can be used with the pump sprayer filled with paint to help spray the frame insides.

By pump sprayer do you mean a tank sprayer like you would use on your lawn or is it somethimg different?

Yup one of those kind you'd spray weeds or bugs with.
Take a practice run before you commit to doing it.
Use scrap cardboard to make a rectangle mockup frame to test sprayer.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom