Steering Power steering pulley

Steering Power steering pulley

DconZ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
I am struggling with my Power steering pulley alignment, unfortunately the OEM was damaged on my orignal chasis and has a wobble! I have tried several different ones now and the offset doesnt allow me to press on far enough to align it properly and looks like the option is find a dual v-belt where the back channel is almost 2" back from the pump housing. I looked through the old posts here and found the Dorman p/n (long shipping dates for my location) and as well as a few other aftermarket dual belt versions where I would assume the offset is close to that 2" mark, anyone have recent experience sourcing out one they know will work?

To be honest, the way I always found a pulley I did not happen to have is make a trip to two places. My local bone yard and or the local pump / steering / hydraulic house. Most have hundreds of pullys laying around in a pile.
Let us know if the Dorman works. :chug:

There are no options like that where I live unfortunately so pretty much everything comes to me in a box via the post office! I ordered a Tuff Stuff from Summit, the Dorman shipping date was around a month so I am hoping this one will do the trick! No one seems to have measurements or make a single with that 2" backward offset needed to reach the belt alignment.

Alternatively I thought of trying to find triple crank and water pump pulley, seems like that could also solve the problem but haven't looked any further at that option..

I'll post fitment results when this one gets here..

1721136089046.png

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Even here the local bone yard is long gone. Katrina in 2005 flooded all of them in the NOLA area and cash for clunkers I’m sure didn’t help. Closest one is over in another state and when I went looking 3 - 4 years ago it reminded me of buzzards picking it clean already. Even the 2 rebuilding places, one is long gone and I’m not to sure about the other. Even Hose Guys bailed a few years ago.

The Tuff Stuff pulley fits ok.

By the way, the whole reason I am back at this point is that I initially had a chrome single pulley pressed on to within a few hairs of the pump housing to make the alignment (using a Cardone remanufactured pump that I just installed during the build with maybe 500 miles on it). Everything seemed like it was in good, then the pulley just spun off on me.

I also replaced my pump and went to a new PSC. I notice a major difference in my steering now, way more responsive. With the Cardone it felt sluggish and underpowered, I assume its pressure is on the low side but good enough to pass QC..

Note I was slightly off with my 2" offset estimate, it's more like 1.4"-ish... forgot to take a picture under the hood!
1721744895486.jpeg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom