power steering stalls the engine

power steering stalls the engine

jesseb

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ 7 bone stock for now
When I turn hard all the way to the stops the it stalls out my motor. When I got the jeep it had sat for 18 months and the power steering was totally dry after filling it twice it is holding fluid and seems fine. Any ideas why the power steering is sucking so much power. My jeep is an 81 CJ7 iron duke and I need all the power to go to the wheels. Thanks

I would check the engine idle rpm and also check the steering stops for proper adjustment. Mike

I would check the engine idle rpm and also check the steering stops for proper adjustment. Mike

:agree:

Normally when maxed out, the steering will put a stain on the engine.

Might be a stuck bypass valve in the pump but not sure.

The key words were dry and sat for 18 months. Little parts like to stick and plug. If the relief is stuck shut, it can cause pressure spikes and damage hoses etc. when you hit the stops, the pressure rises and should pop the relief valve.

Easy to check. On the backside.

FJ40 - Saginaw Power Steering Pump modification

Adjusting the stops? The pump doesn't care where the stop is. A stop is a stop.

"Normally when maxed out, the steering will put a stain on the engine." Yes, that's running with the relief opening.

:D

FJ40 - Saginaw Power Steering Pump modification

Adjusting the stops? The pump doesn't care where the stop is. A stop is a stop.

:D

I was thinking maybe there was a reason why he was trying to turn so hard.I do realize how the P/S works. Not all replys are always going to be 100% helpful like yours ,but I dont think it would hurt to take a look at the overall condition of the steering linkage as well as the pump.Low idle rpm along with lean idle mixture can contribute to the problem as well. :(mike

No problem :D

About 25 years ago I had the same problem. Old pump that went dry and the relief was stuck - rust.

Cleaned it up and bingo.

I don't think there are too many problems that haven't happened to members here. We don't mind sharing. Didn't have the Internet then and you had to figure it the hard way or take it to the stealership.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom