Power trax no slip question

Power trax no slip question

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
Has anybody heard anything bad/good about the Power trax no slip?? It sounds like a kinder gentler locker but can't find much more that infomercials. I am considering putting one in a Dana 44 for the rear of My CJ5 and would like to keep as good a street manners as I can. 33s will more than likely be the biggest thing I roll no totally insane wheeling. :cool:

I've heard more bad than good.
I ran an Auburn Limited slip that was good both on and off raod.

IO the people I know have had problems with both on road manners (locking and unlocking) and brakage off road. Although they might be a little harder on them than you plan to be.
Read the reviews, some of the people said yes but there comments sounded like no.
IMO. If your going to keep the jeep just get a selectable locker and be done.

Last edited:
The No-Slip is the next generation up from the Lockright. It has the same characteristics but is quieter.
I've been running Lockrights front and rear for several years without a problem. There are variables to pay attention to with this locker...and the key variable is case tolerance. A worn out case will eat these lockers morning noon and night.
Road characteristics are just something to get used to.

so the best option would be a new carrier to put it in??:cool:

The No-Slip is the next generation up from the Lockright. It has the same characteristics but is quieter.
I've been running Lockrights front and rear for several years without a problem. There are variables to pay attention to with this locker...and the key variable is case tolerance. A worn out case will eat these lockers morning noon and night.
Road characteristics are just something to get used to.

the air lock is still an option. Just wondering if I want to put up with the airlines and compressed air. could be a long term PITA. Whatever can brake, will.:D
I do not like the idea of a noisy, jerky machine.:(

IO the people I know have had problems with both on road manners (locking and unlocking) and brakage off road. Although they might be a little harder on them than you plan to be.
Read the reviews, some of the people said yes but there comments sounded like no.
IMO. If your going to keep the jeep just get a selectable locker and be done.

the air lock is still an option. Just wondering if I want to put up with the airlines and compressed air. could be a long term PITA. Whatever can brake, will.:D
I do not like the idea of a noisy, jerky machine.:(

Don't forget Eaton makes an electric and Ox makes electric and cable operated ones. A few people I know have the Ox cable and have had no problems. I have seen some air lines get torn off, I don't know anyone running the electric but there are wires so...

from what I have read the Eaton does not actually lock, it has clutches that are compressed and as clutched do they wear out. The OX is interesting, I think maybe they don,t have as good a PR dept as ARB does. I only know one person that has one and I am waiting for him to jump in and tell us how wonderful it is. Of course he doesn't spend a lot of time on the pavement from what I can see.:cool:

Don't forget Eaton makes an electric and Ox makes electric and cable operated ones. A few people I know have the Ox cable and have had no problems. I have seen some air lines get torn off, I don't know anyone running the electric but there are wires so...

Has anybody heard anything bad/good about the Power trax no slip?? It sounds like a kinder gentler locker but can't find much more that infomercials. I am considering putting one in a Dana 44 for the rear of My CJ5 and would like to keep as good a street manners as I can. 33s will more than likely be the biggest thing I roll no totally insane wheeling. :cool:

I've run one in a front axle & I agree with Busa, it's a lunch box.
I've had no issues, it does no make the hammer noise like the Detroit in the rear end. I had to limp home 30 miles on the front axle one day, so I unlock 1 hub & rode that baby to the ranch. Granted there was a little swerving on & off the throttle, but made it back. IMHO if I was going to replace the carrier I would go with a Detroit for strength. When I installed the No-Slip I already had a Limited slip in a D60 front end so I could drop it in without having to set up the gears again. OK so I'm a lazy POS what can I say, oh yeah it's cheaper too.;)

the Dana 44 will have to have a new R&P because it is the wrong ratio so changing the carrier is no big deal. Clunks and pops annoy the hell out of me, I'm just funny that way.
to limp home on the front axle like that is impressive. Horn, you are speaking of the no slip rather than the lock right?? How did it handle in the front axle?? turn radius, jerky??:cool:

the Dana 44 will have to have a new R&P because it is the wrong ratio so changing the carrier is no big deal. Clunks and pops annoy the hell out of me, I'm just funny that way.
to limp home on the front axle like that is impressive. Horn, you are speaking of the no slip rather than the lock right?? How did it handle in the front axle?? turn radius, jerky??:cool:

Yes, I'm speaking of the "Powertrax No-Slip Traction System" as is say's on the manual. Here's one installed.
View attachment 6034
Yeah, I had the No-Slip in the front on the limp home.
It handles well in the front until your on the power, then it wants to go straight.
Then your going to get that with any real locker.
As far as turning radius, that's why you installed the twin stick set-up.;)
It's not jerky in my rig with a 105"wheelbase.
If I was replacing the carrier I'd go with a full locker & not a lunchbox for the added strength. I mean as long as your in there you may as well "Go Big".:cool:

from what I have read the Eaton does not actually lock, it has clutches that are compressed and as clutched do they wear out. The OX is interesting, I think maybe they don,t have as good a PR dept as ARB does. I only know one person that has one and I am waiting for him to jump in and tell us how wonderful it is. Of course he doesn't spend a lot of time on the pavement from what I can see.:cool:

Just to clear things up it's the auburn electric that has the clutches the eaton does not.

Just to clear things up it's the auburn electric that has the clutches the eaton does not.

Hey Old Dog,
Is the Eaton similar to the Governmet Motors Eaton Gov-Loc
aka. the famous "Grenade Lock" factory Locker?

Last edited:
IO I have a new Detroit locker in the rear and it is perfectly quiet, no clunks or any weird issues at all. Not perticularly fun to drive on the street because of what I will call a torque roll feeling but once your offroad all is forgotten :D.

CJjim, What constitutes a worn out case? If it's rebuilt and shimmed to spec what could go wrong?

CJjim, What constitutes a worn out case? If it's rebuilt and shimmed to spec what could go wrong?

To much tolerance between the drivers and couplers. Most people that install a lunchbox type locker are looking for a quick and cheap locking mechanism....and these people rarely rebuild the entire diff as they are installing them...let alone checking for tolerance and shimming appropriately.
The majority of blown lockrights and noslips are from case tolerance...people blame the locker itself for being weak or poorly designed. The weakness comes from the worn case and failure to correct it when installing the locker ;)

Im not stereotyping....but people who are installing high-dollar lockers tend to take more care, whether rebuilding or installing. A cheap lunchbox is quick, cheap, and substandard by other lockers' measures. They will spend the small amount of money on these lockers because they dont have the cash to go with more...or to rebuild the diff for that same reason. They toss them in and go.
Yes, i installed Lockrights at both ends....I cant justify throwing any more money at a weak axle. Yes, I also checked case tolerance....it's the least you can do to make these things stand up to any abuse. Most people dont.

Last edited:
Got it, cutting corners.

Sorry for butchering your handle. :eek:

To much tolerance between the drivers and couplers. Most people that install a lunchbox type locker are looking for a quick and cheap locking mechanism....and these people rarely rebuild the entire diff as they are installing them...let alone checking for tolerance and shimming appropriately.
The majority of blown lockrights and noslips are from case tolerance...people blame the locker itself for being weak or poorly designed. The weakness comes from the worn case and failure to correct it when installing the locker ;)

Im not stereotyping....but people who are installing high-dollar lockers tend to take more care, whether rebuilding or installing. A cheap lunchbox is quick, cheap, and substandard by other lockers' measures. They will spend the small amount of money on these lockers because they dont have the cash to go with more...or to rebuild the diff for that same reason. They toss them in and go.
Yes, i installed Lockrights at both ends....I cant justify throwing any more money at a weak axle. Yes, I also checked case tolerance....it's the least you can do to make these things stand up to any abuse. Most people dont.

I agree to a large extent about installer error, but IMHO a "Detroit Locker" is still stronger than any of the "Lunchboxes" even when installed in a new, never before used carrier like the one I used.

I'm not knocking them, that's why they are cheaper.

I've seen them all come apart at one time are another.

Deep Mud, Big Tires, Lots of Horse Power & a heavy foot always weeds out the weakest link in the driveline.:eek:

It's always fun to watch the youngsters play in the mud.;)

Horn you bring up a good point, the wheel base. You have lots and I have almost none at all. I know from experience that I can hit a section of wet asphalt and be pointing in the direction I just came from in about a heart beat. A lot of this is corrected with a decent set of tires and is nothing that keeps me awake at night but having my differential decide it knows more about where I want to go than I do does give me cause to think. Not being able to power through a turn could be a problem on the street especially in bad weather perhaps the odd patch of snow or ice.
Just how sharp a turn does it take to start feeling the difference??:cool:
I also have no doubt that the Detroit is stronger.

I agree to a large extent about installer error, but IMHO a "Detroit Locker" is still stronger than any of the "Lunchboxes" even when installed in a new, never before used carrier like the one I used.

I'm not knocking them, that's why they are cheaper.

I've seen them all come apart at one time are another.

Deep Mud, Big Tires, Lots of Horse Power & a heavy foot always weeds out the weakest link in the driveline.:eek:

It's always fun to watch the youngsters play in the mud.;)

Hey Old Dog,
Is the Eaton similar to the Governmet Motors Eaton Gov-Loc
aka. the famous "Grenade Lock" factory Locker?
I'm not famillar with the Gov-Loc, so not sure on that one

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom