Power trax no slip question

Power trax no slip question
Not being able to power through a turn could be a problem on the street especially in bad weather perhaps the odd patch of snow or ice.
Just how sharp a turn does it take to start feeling the difference??:cool:
I also have no doubt that the Detroit is stronger.
I don't have much trouble here in ohio with the detroit, but in Ky. in the hills and curves it can throw you around pretty good if your not careful with the throttle.:eek:

Horn you bring up a good point, the wheel base. You have lots and I have almost none at all. I know from experience that I can hit a section of wet asphalt and be pointing in the direction I just came from in about a heart beat. A lot of this is corrected with a decent set of tires and is nothing that keeps me awake at night but having my differential decide it knows more about where I want to go than I do does give me cause to think. Not being able to power through a turn could be a problem on the street especially in bad weather perhaps the odd patch of snow or ice.
Just how sharp a turn does it take to start feeling the difference??:cool:
I also have no doubt that the Detroit is stronger.

I've run the Detroit in CJ5 , CJ7 , CJ8 it never really bothered me like I say just the occasional bang & in a CJ5 I would notice a push in the steering on gradual power on turns, but we don't get much in the way of ice & snow hell in the past 6 years we haven't had enough rain to put the top up.

The best answer for you might be the ARB.
I put a set in the wife's YJeep.
She has Dana 44 Front & Rear with ARB's .
They've been in her rig almost 20 years now, I didn't like all the plastic lines.
So when I rigged it up originally I ran the plastic air lines through vacuum line for protection then ran the lines inside the frame rails for even more protection. So far they've run great. They are more expensive & a lot more work to install, plus you need a on board air system.
That & simplicity is why I like the Detroit. Way up North in BigD the ice could be an issue.
I've never run a OX locker so I can't really say anything on them.

The OX is interesting, I think maybe they don,t have as good a PR dept as ARB does. I only know one person that has one and I am waiting for him to jump in and tell us how wonderful it is. Of course he doesn't spend a lot of time on the pavement from what I can see.:cool:
I like the selectable lockers. They offer the best of both worlds but they cost more. I have had an ARB air locker and I now have the OX locker. I like them both. I have never had any problems with the air locker but I still like the all manual OX locker. It is activated by a shift lever that uses a cable to activate the locker. Very simple and I like simple.

Clunks and pops annoy the hell out of me, I'm just funny that way.

Sounds like you answered your question, might as well go for it and get what you want.

I recently read in JP or somewhere a comparison of lockers for short wheel base vehicles. There is almost always some kind of pop with lunchbox and moreso that XJ'S and such. It seemed what a few said here was right on, best choice for rear was Eaton cable locker, reliable and not air or anything to go wrong.

That poll was not so good, if you noticed, lots of the "good" still said it popped and most of then bought them used based on their price, so their opinion is based on how cheap they got it. :D

Last edited:
I agree to a large extent about installer error, but IMHO a "Detroit Locker" is still stronger than any of the "Lunchboxes" even when installed in a new, never before used carrier like the one I used.

Yes. Yes it is, no question.

Have you thought about a detroit truetrac Limited slip it uses gears instad of clutch plates to wear out. I have them in front and back of my 86 AMC20 and Dana 30 . Now street handleing is good, but I haven't had to use them in snow or ice I just put these in. Noise is not a problem. I've been told they are the best all around for off roading and road manners. Now for the rear you can call 4wd hardware and they can order them straight from the factor. Because they are not on the web site or the catalog. I went with this cause on air lines or compressor the buy extra. I think ther rear was about 658 and the frount was 395 or so. What I like is no cables or air lines to tear off on trail. A little fact is that detroit lockers is owned by eaton locker I was suprised when mine can in an eaton box. If your not hard core off roading I think this Limited slip is the best and costs less for what you get.

I have a eaton truetrak in the front of mine. It is a good Limited slip
BUT it is still a Limited slip. In other words if one wheel looses enough traction it will spin only that wheel.

Yes old dog you are correct. Every one has differant needs and off roading needs. I do moderate wheeling and highway use. I also think a selectable locker is great but was a little costly for me by the time you buy cables or lines and a compressor. Just my 2 cents.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom