Primers

Primers

cj77

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cj-7 6 cyl 258. 1977
Hi
I want to know What are the step and products to use to paint parts the jeep? I don´t have a compressor. I think use the rust bullet products. I want use aerosol.
thanks

These are my steps:

Sandblast or sand part to bare metal using 320, then 600.
Use SEm Self Etching Primer SEM Products 39693 Self Etching Primer- Green, Aerosol
Paint with rattle can or paint gun
Seal is clearcoat.

Most of the work comes in the preparation of the metal. Get rid of the rust so it does not bubble up again.

Hi
I want to know What are the step and products to use to paint parts the jeep? I don´t have a compressor. I think use the rust bullet products. I want use aerosol.
thanks

Depends..
If your going to go to bare metal:
Sand down to 80 grit (this gives the metal "teeth" so the primer will stick
(Try to sand down all rust) If you have deep (old) rust use a wire brush on a drill, or a hand wire brush.
Clean each part with a little dawn soap and water
Rinse well
Let dry completely
Use either acetone or paint thinner to clean any residue and grease left behind
Let dry (a minute or so,)
If you can afford a Metal Prep/Ready by Por 15 (some people use a mixture of vinegar and water). This will prep the metal for paint but will also convert the rust (surface only) into a black color) -Look on line on how to apply the vinegar water mixture) Rinse off completely with clean water
Let dry completely
Then spray the primer.

If you paint down to bare metal you want to use an Epoxy Primer (dtm) its a sealer/primer, which means it protects the metal from the elements. But if you're not going down to bare metal, you DON'T need the epoxy.

;) (Please feel free to add other instructions jeep people, If I am missing anything out)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom