Build Thread Project Jeep CJ8SS (Scrambler Sleeper)

Build Thread Project Jeep CJ8SS (Scrambler Sleeper)
Nice work. I love to see people fabricating thier own parts!

Very cool, I think I can see disc brakes in my future....

I will do a write up for the disk brake conversion after it is finished. I haven't found to many websites or forums on how to actually develop the bracket so I think it would be good to have a resource on this site.

Those won't fit my axle but that is pretty cheap. The scout Dana 44 has a bigger tube and wider bolt spacing.

Wow, it has been 3 years since I updated this thread. That is kind of pathetic. Well, instead of going over every detail I will just post a few pictures and then talk about what has been done. Basically the Jeep will be ready to drive by June 19th which is the hard date I set for myself. Right now the Jeep sits with a full roll cage I built from Extreme Custom Fabrication. They sell the “you weld it” kits and you can add whatever options you want on them. I also opted to add on Poison Spyder armor around the glass tub to give it some more strength. The interior was fully sprayed with U-pol raptor liner. Everything was rebuilt on the dash, steering column and heater box.

I decided to stick with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l motor but I built it up some. I refreshed the bottom end with new rings and bearings. I bought a Comp Cam 252H grind with new lifters. I bought a 4.0 head and Cherokee header and had it completely rebuilt with a 3 angle valve job, all new spring and seals and they decked it flat. New custom length pushrods had to be purchased. I took an HEI from a 1978 Chevy 6 cylinder and rebuilt it with MSD parts and Taylor wires. The Transmission is an AX15 from a Jeep Cherokee with an adapter to the Dana 300 clock flat and a twin stick shifter installed. I am building my own exhaust out of 2.5 inch mandrel bent tubing and a Dynomax muffler. I had the stock radiator opened up, cleaned by hand and then resealed and pressure checked.

The doors were rebuilt with all new seals and I tinted the windows 30%. The gas tank and skid plate were gone through, cleaned up and rebuilt. I hand bent all new fuel lines and bought the pre-bent brake lines from Inline Tube Company. The lift springs and shackles were ones I had in my garage so I cleaned them up and installed new bushing. I bought Bilstien 5100 shocks. I may buy new springs this summer but this jeep will be somewhat heavy and think they are going to ride fine. They are older Black Diamond springs. The paint is Eastwood Machines urethane Sunset Metallic Orange. I did all the body work and prep work myself. I even painted the Jeep myself but I wasn’t satisfied with the results so I had someone I knew take it to their shop and redo the paint for me. I wasted a boat load of time on this just to have it done right by a pro but I wanted to try for myself. I should have tried a smaller project first. Live and learn.

So in a nutshell with having another baby, taking 8 months away from the project and everything else life throws at me, here are the current pictures of the Jeep.

JeepCJ%206_zpsoi71vk1h.png

CJ8%202-3-16_zpsjmdm8584.png

20160324_202817_zpstievoazl.png

20160410_001004_zpsf0uamn6y.png

20160512_182802_zps8k9ikhl1.png

20150730_193605_zpsriwfq36h.png

20150201_142243_zpsccf0wdlk.png

Sorry I missed this update while I was fighting with my own. Looks fabulous Kane. That is one sweet looking Scrambler. The color is awesome and the engine details look great. Just a nice quality build across the board. :notworthy:

Thanks. I am very excited to finally drive it. The whole family is excited especially my kids.

CJ8%205-16-16_zpszei5toh1.png

Nicely done! Really like the color also. :notworthy:
LG

I am not sure if everyone has instagram access. If not I will load it to photobucket

:chug::notworthy: From the looks (and sound) of it it was 5 years and 5 months of time well spent. Love it!

Well done!

OFS! :notworthy:
:chug:
LG

It runs really good. Idle is right at 650 and not a sputter. I have some odd and ends to finish up. Some gauges do not work (surprise), need to fab the rear bumper and tire carrier, brakes are not working to well, seat belts need to be installed, I need some music and at some point this summer the hardtop needs to be cleaned up and regasketted for fall. I am also making my own bikini top that will go over the cage and held on with orange parachord.

Wow! That looks and sounds GREAT! A lot of hard worked finally paid off. Congrats.

PS: I sent you a pm.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom